|(26) Georgia Tech||4|
|(21) Virginia Tech||3|
BLACKSBURG, Va. – Virginia Tech dropped a tight 4-3 decision Sunday afternoon at No. 26 Georgia Tech in the regular season finale for both teams. The Hokies fell to 14-6 overall and 7-4 in the ACC, while Georgia Tech improved to 16-6 and 7-4 in league action.
Tech, ranked No. 21 in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association poll, won a tight doubles competition, but dropped four of the six singles matches in the loss.
After taking the doubles point, the Hokies lost the first three completed singles contest to trail, 3-1. Yoann Re (Sr., Verdun, Quebec, Canada), ranked No. 60 nationally, dropped the No. 1 match, 6-4, 6-2, to 8th-ranked Guillermo Gomez, Luka Somen (So., Karlovac, Croatia), ranked No. 66, was upset, 6-1, 6-1, at No. 2 by 90th-ranked Kevin King and Sebastien Jacques (Jr., Magog, Quebec, Canada) fell, 6-3, 7-5, at No. 6 versus Juan Spir.
The Hokies mounted a comeback as Will Beck (Jr., Potomac, Md.) took the No. 5 match, 7-6 (5), 6-2, over Magin Ortiga and Corrado Degl’ Incerti Tocci (So., Reggio Emilia, Italy) evened the team score at 3-3 with a, 7-6 (5), 7-5, win against Eliot Potvin. With the team outcome hanging in the balance, Patrick Daciek (So., Severna Park, Md.) lost a tough, 3-6, 6-3, 7-5, match at No. 4 to Miguel Muguruza.
Virginia Tech won an extremely tight doubles competition to open the day as Jacques/Re won the No. 2 match, 8-4, versus Potvin/Ryan Smith, before the Yellow Jackets won the No. 1 contest as Beck/Daciek lost, 9-7, to King/Spir. The Hokies took the doubles point as Somen/Tocci ran their ACC record to 11-0 with a 9-7 victory at No. 3 against Dean O’Brien/Ortiga.
Tech returns to action on Thursday at the ACC Championship in Cary, N.C.. The Hokies opponent and match time will be announced on Monday. Complete information on the ACC Men's and Women's Championships in available at www.theacc.com.
#26 Georgia Tech 4, #21 Virginia Tech 3
1. #8 Guillermo Gomez (GT) def. #60 Yoann Re (VT) 6-4, 6-2
2. #90 Kevin King (GT) def. #66 Luka Somen (VT) 6-1, 6-1
3. Corrado Tocci (VT) def. Eliot Potvin (GT) 7-6 (7-5), 7-5
4. Miguel Muguruza (GT) def. Patrick Daciek (VT) 3-6, 6-3, 7-5
5. Will Beck (VT) def. Magin Ortiga (GT) 7-6 (7-5), 6-2
6. Juan Spir (GT) def. #123 Sebastien Jacques (VT) 6-3, 7-5
Order of finish: 1, 2, 6, 5, 3, 4*
1. Juan Spir/Kevin King (GT) def. Will Beck/Patrick Daciek (VT) 9-7
2. Yoann Re/Sebastien Jacques (VT) def. Eliot Potvin/Ryan Smith (GT) 8-4
3. Luka Somen/Corrado Tocci (VT) def. Dean O’Brien/Magin Ortiga (GT) 9-7
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3*
* Clinching point
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_MTennis).