|(24) Virginia Tech||7|
BLACKSBURG, Va. - Virginia Tech had no trouble in its’ season-opener Saturday afternoon with a, 7-0, victory over Eastern Kentucky at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center. Eastern Kentucky dropped to 2-1 with the loss.
Tech, ranked No. 24 nationally which is the highest preseason ranking in the program’s history, swept the three doubles matches, then won all six singles matches, including a couple of three-set victories.
In singles, Luka Somen (Jr., Karlovac, Croatia) won, 6-4, 7-5, at No. 1 over Alex Das and Patrick Daciek (Jr., Severna Park, Md.) defeated Hugo Klientovsky, 6-4, 7-6 (5), at No. 2. Elsewhere, Pedro Graber (r-Sr., Santiago, Chile) made a successful return to the Tech lineup after missing last season due to injury with an impressive, 6-4, 6-0, win at No. 3 against Phil Janz.
The Hokies had a couple of tight matches at No. 4-5 as Will Beck (Sr., Potomac, Md.) won a tough, 6-1, 5-7, 6-3, No. 4 match versus Niklas Schroeder and Lucas Oliviera (So., Sao Paulo, Brazil) took the No. 5 contest, 6-3, 5-7, 6-3, over Parul Verma. Trpimir Kujundzic (So., Zagreb, Croatia) completed the sweep at No. 6 with a, 6-2, 6-3, victory against Charles Pons.
Tech opened the day with a sweep in doubles for the first point of contest. Corrado Degl’ Incerti Tocci (Jr., Reggio Emilia, Italy)/Somen took the No. 1 match, 8-4, over Janz/Schroeder and Beck/Graber easily won the No. 2 match, 8-1, against Das/Pons. Daciek/Sebastien Jacques (Sr., Magog, Quebec, Canada) took the No. 3 match, 8-4, over Klientovsky/Joao Maio.
The Hokies return to action today at 5 p.m., when they play host to Longwood.
Live stats will be available at http://www.hokiesports.com/mtennis/live/
#24 Virginia Tech 7, Eastern Kentucky 0
1. Lucas Somen (VT) def. Alex Das (EKU) 6-4, 7-5
2. Patrick Daciek (VT) def. Hugo Klientovsky (EKU) 6-4, 7-6 (5)
3. Pedro Graber (VT) def. Phil Janz (EKU) 6-4, 6-0
4. Will Beck (VT) def. Niklas Schroeder (EKU) 6-1, 5-7, 6-3
5. Lucas Oliviera (VT) def. Parul Verma (EKU) 6-3, 5-7, 6-3
6. Trpimir Kujundzic (VT) def. Charles Pons (EKU) 6-2, 6-3
Order of finish: 3,6,2*, 4,1,5
1. Corrado Degl’ Incerti Tocci/Somen (VT) def. Janz/Schroeder (EKU) 8-4
2. Beck/Graber (VT) def. Das/Pons (EKU) 8-1
3. Daciek/Sebastien Jacaques (VT) def. Klientovsky/Joao Maio (EKU) 8-4
Order of finish: 2,1*, 3
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_MTennis).