|(24) Virginia Tech||7|
BLACKSBURG, Va. - Virginia Tech completed a season-opening sweep Saturday evening with a, 7-0, victory over Longwood at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center. Tech improved to 2-0 while Longwood fell to 0-1. The Hokies defeated Eastern Kentucky, 7-0, earlier in the day.
Tech, ranked No. 24 nationally which is the highest preseason ranking in the program’s history, won two of the three doubles matches, then won all six singles matches for the sweep.
In singles, Luka Somen (Jr., Karlovac, Croatia) defeated Nobu Tanaka, 6-2, 6-1, at No. 1 and Corrado Degl’ Incerti Tocci (Jr., Reggio Emilia, Italy) won a tough, 4-6, 6-2, 1-0 (9), decision in the No. 2 contest versus Marc Ferrigno. Will Beck (Sr., Potomac, Md.) picked up a, 6-1, 6-2, win at No. 3 against Crescente Lesser, while Lucas Oliviera (So., Sao Paulo, Brazil) cruised past Jimmy Davis, 6-0, 6-2, in the No. 4 contest.
In the remaining two matches, Trpimir Kujundzic (So., Zagreb, Croatia) won, 6-3, 6-2, at No. 5 versus Milo Barajas-Alexander and Jon Pine (Jr., Vienna, Va.) blanked Hunter Barnes, 6-0, 6-0. in the No. 6 contest.
Tech opened the day taking two of three matches in doubles for the first point of contest. Beck/Sebastien Jacques (Sr., Magog, Quebec, Canada) won, 8-2, at No. 2 over Lesser/Tanaka and Kujundzic/Oliviera clinched the point defeating Barajas-Alexander/Barnes, 8-4, in the No. 3 match. The Lancers won their only match of the day at No. 1 as Davis/Ferrigno edged Pedro Graber (r-Sr., Santiago, Chile)/Tocci, 8-6.
The Hokies return to action on Jan. 28 when they travel to Durham, N.C. to participate in the ITA National Indoor First- and Second Round. Tech will play No. 21 Pepperdine at 2 p.m. No. 14 Duke faces No. 25 Michigan in the other match.
#24 Virginia Tech 7, Longwood 0
1. Lucas Somen (VT) def. Nobu Tanaka (LWD) 6-2, 6-1
2. Corrado Degl’ Incerti Tocci (VT) def. Marc Ferrigno (LWD) 4-6, 6-2, 1-0 (9)
3. Will Beck (VT) def. Crescente Lesser (LWD) 6-1, 6-2
4. Lucas Oliviera (VT) def. Jimmy Davis (LWD) 6-0, 6-2
5. Trpimir Kujundzic (VT) def. Milo Barajas-Alexander (LWD) 6-3, 6-2
6. Jon Pine (VT) def. Hunter Barnes (LWD) 6-0, 6-0
Order of finish: 6, 3, 1*, 5, 4, 2
1. Davis/Ferrigno (LWD) def. Pedro Graber/Tocci (VT) 8-6
2. Beck/Sebastien Jacques (VT) def. Lesser/Tanaka (LWD) 8-2
3. Kujundzic/Oliviera (VT) def. Barajas-Alexander/Barnes (LWD) 8-4
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_MTennis).