|(28) Virginia Tech||3|
MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. -- The Virginia Tech men’s tennis team dropped its third consecutive tight match losing, 4-3, at No. 30 Minnesota Friday evening. The match was played at the Baseline Tennis Center on the University of Minnesota campus.
Tech (2-3), ranked No. 28 in the this week’s Intercollegiate Tennis Association poll, won the doubles point, but dropped four of the six singles matches in the contest.
After Tech took the doubles point, Minnesota quickly evened the match as Corrado Degl’ Incerti Tocci (Jr., Reggio Emilia, Italy) lost his No. 5 contest, 6-4, 6-2, versus Brendan Ruddock. The Hokies recaptured the lead at 2-1 when Luka Somen (Jr., Karlovac, Croatia) took the No. 1 match, 6-2, 6-4, over Rok Bonin, but the Golden Gophers tied things up once again as Will Beck (Sr., Potomac, Md.) fell, 7-6, 6-2, at No. 4 against Phillip Arndt.
Minnesota took a tight No. 6 match as Trpimir Kujundzic (So., Zabreb, Croatia) lost, 6-4, 7-6 (8), to Julian Dehn and then the Golden Gophers clinched the match with a, 6-3, 4-6, 6-3, victory at No. 3 by Tobias Werner over the Hokies Pedro Graber (r-Sr., Santiago, Chile). Tech took the final match as Patrick Daciek (Jr., Severna Park, Md.) won his No. 2 contest, 1-6, 7-5, 6-3, over Sebastien Gallego.
In doubles, Beck/Graber won, 8-4, at No. 1 against Arndt/Gallego and the Hokies clinched the point as Somen/Tocci took the No. 2 match, 8-5, over Bonin/Werdet. Daciek/Sebastien Jacques (Sr., Magog, Quebec, Canada) dropped the No. 3 contest, 8-7 (6), to Dehn/Ruddock.
Tech returns to the court on Saturday when the Hokies remain in Minneapolis, Minn. to play No. 35 Boise State at 4 p.m. (ET).
#30 Minnesota 4, #28 Virginia Tech 3
1. Luka Somen (VT) def. Rok Bonin (UM) 6-2, 6-4
2. Patrick Daciek (VT) def. Sebastien Gallego (UM) 1-6, 7-5, 6-3
3. Tobias Wernet (UM) def. Pedro Graber (VT) 6-3, 4-6, 6-3
4. Phillip Arndt (UM) def. Will Beck (VT) 7-6, 6-2
5. Brendan Ruddock (UM) def. Corrado Degl’ Incerti Tocci (VT) 6-4, 6-2
6. Julian Dehn (UM) def. Trpimir Kujundzic (VT) 6-4, 7-6 (8)
Order of finish: 5, 1, 4, 6, 3* 2
1. Beck/Graber (VT) def. Arndt/Gallego (UM) 8-4
2. Somen/Tocci (VT) def. Bonin/Wernet (UM) 8-5
3. Dehn/Ruddock (UM) def. Daciek/Sebastien Jacaques (VT) 8-7 (6)
Order of finish: 1, 2*, 3
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_MTennis).