|(37) Virginia Tech||0|
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – The weather was the only thing that could slow down No. 3 Tennessee Saturday as the Volunteers defeated Virginia Tech, 4-0, in the NCAA Second Round at the Barksdale Stadium on the University of Tennessee campus. The Hokies end the year at 15-12, while Tennessee improves to 23-4 and advances to the NCAA “Sweet 16” in Stanford, Calif. The match was stopped on two occasions due to weather before moving indoors for the completion.
Tennessee won both of the completed doubles matches for the first point of the day, then took all three of the completed singles matches to clinch the victory.
After taking the doubles point, the Volunteers quickly upped the advantage to 3-0 as Corrado Degl’ Incerti Tocci (Jr., Reggio Emilia, Italy) dropped the No. 6 match, 6-4, 6-0, to Edward Jones and Patrick Daciek (Jr., Severna Park, Md.) fell, 6-0, 6-2, at No. 2 versus third-ranked Rhyne Williams.
Tennessee closed out the match at No. 3 as Will Beck (Sr., Potomac, Md.) lost, 6-4, 6-3, against No. 45 Tennys Sandgren. The remaining three singles contest were halted once the Volunteers had clinched the victory.
The match opened with Tennessee taking the doubles point as 68th-ranked Beck/Pedro Graber (r-Sr., Santiago, Chile) lost, 8-2, at No. 1 to the nation’s No. 1 duo of Boris Conkic/John-Patrick Smith and Daciek/Francesc Aulina Fajula (Fr., Barcelona, Spain) dropped the No. 3 match, 8-5, against Matteo Fago/Jones.
Luka Somen (Jr., Karlovac, Croatia) will participate in the NCAA singles competition which will be held May 25-30 at the Taube Tennis Center in Stanford, Calif., following the conclusion of the team championship (May 19-24). Pairings for the individual tournament will be released on May 24.
#3 Tennessee 4, #37 Virginia Tech 0
1. #11 John-Patrick Smith (UT) led #58 Luka Somen (VT) 6-4, 2-1 DNF
2. #3 Rhyne Williams (UT) def. Patrick Daciek (VT) 6-0, 6-2
3. #45 Tennys Sandgren (UT) def. Will Beck (VT) 6-4, 6-3
4. Boris Conkic (UT) led Pedro Graber (VT) 6-3, 4-4 DNF
5. #80 Matteo Fago (UT) led Lucas Oliveira (VT) 6-3, 2-6, 1-0 DNF
6. Edward Jones (UT) def. Corrado D. Tocci (VT) 6-4, 6-0
Order of finish: 6, 2, 3*
1. #1 Boris Conkic/John-Patrick Smith (UT) def. #68 Will Beck/Pedro Graber (VT) 8-2
2. #72 Tennys Sandgren/Rhyne Williams (UT) led Lucas Oliveira/Luka Somen (VT) 8-7 DNF
3. Matteo Fago/Edward Jones (UT) def. Francesc Aulina Fajula/Patrick Daciek (VT) 8-5
Order of finish: 1, 3*
First stoppage of play due to rain came at 6:10. Play briefly resumed at 6:14.
Play was again stopped at 6:18 and the match resumed indoors at 6:57.
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_MTennis).