CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – No. 31 Virginia Tech men’s tennis team was edged by No. 60 Harvard, 4-3 on Saturday afternoon in Cambridge, Mass. The Hokies fall to 2-2 on the season while the Crimson improves to 6-1.
Tech dropped the doubles point early as Harvard took a 1-0 lead in the match.
The Crimson was up 2-0 before the Hokies got on the board with a win by No. 58 Luka Somen in the No. 1 singles as he defeated Jonathan Pearlman, 6-1, 6-2.
Tech knotted it up, 2-2 with a win in the No. 2 singles from No. 71 Lucas Oliveira, who defeated Harvard’s Denis Nguyen, 6-3, 6-2.
Harvard reclaimed the lead, winning the No. 6 match, but Mauricio Antun secured a win in three sets at No. 4, taking the 2-6, 6-4, 6-4 victory over Henry Steer to tie the match back up at 3-3.
The No. 3 singles went back and forth as Tech’s Patrick Daciek and Harvard’s Alex Steinroeder battled to secure the match for their respective teams. Daciek took the opening set 6-3, but Steinroeder came back for a 6-4 win in the second set. The two kept it close in the final set, but Steinroeder held on for the 7-5 decision to claim the match for the Crimson.
Tech will open the ACC schedule on Sunday, Feb. 12 at Boston College at 1:30 p.m.
1. No. 58 Luka Somen (VT) def. Jonathan Pearlman (Harvard) 6-1, 6-2
2. No. 71 Lucas Oliveira (VT) def. Denis Nguyen (Harvard) 6-3, 6-2
3. Alex Steinroeder (Harvard) def. Patrick Daciek (VT) 3-6, 6-4, 7-5
4. Mauricio Antun (VT) def. Henry Steer (Harvard) 2-6, 6-4, 6-4
5. Christo Schultz (Harvard) def. Corrado Degl’ Incerti Tocci (VT) 6-3, 6-2
6. Shaun Chaudhuri (Harvard) def. Trpimir Kujundzic (VT) 6-4, 6-3
Order of finish: 5,1,2,6,4,3
1. No. 45 Casey MacMaster/Alistair Felton (Harvard) def. No. 51 Somen/Tocci (VT) 8-5
2. Andy Nguyen/Nguyen def. Oliveira/Hunter Koontz (VT) 8-5
3. Schultz/Steer def. Kujundzic/Antun (VT) 8-7 (10-8)
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_MTennis).