CHESNUT HILL, Mass. – After losing the doubles point, the No. 31 Virginia Tech men’s tennis team came back strong in singles picking up straight set wins in all six to claim a 6-1 win over ACC foe Boston College on Sunday afternoon.
Tech (3-2) went 1-2 in the doubles matches as the No. 2 duo of Lucas Oliveira and Hunter Koontz defeated Michael McGinnis and Billy Grokenberger, 8-4, but the Eagles had a 1-0 lead going into singles.
In the No. 1 singles No. 51 Luka Somen claimed a 6-1, 6-2 decision over Akash Muppidi. No. 71 Oliveira downed BC’s Alex Skinner, 6-1, 6-2 in the No. 2 singles.
In the No. 5 singles, Corrado Degl’ Incerti Tocci defeated Klaus Puestow, 6-3, 6-1 and Trpimir Kujundzic picked up a 6-4, 6-4 decision against Philip Nelson in the No. 6 singles.
The Hokies will be back on the court on Friday, Feb. 24 when they host Maryland in the conference home opener. Match time is set for 2 p.m. at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center.
1. #58 Luka Somen (VT) def. Akash Muppidi (BC) 6-1, 6-2
2. #71 Lucas Oliveira (VT) def. Alex Skinner (BC) 6-1, 6-2
3. Patrick Daciek (VT) def. Billy Grokenberger (BC) 6-2, 6-2
4. Mauricio Antun (VT) def. Jonathan Raude (BC) 6-1, 7-5
5. Corrado Degl’ Incerti Tocci (VT) def. Klaus Puestow (BC) 6-3, 6-1
6. Trpimir Kujundzic (VT) def. Philip Nelson (BC) 6-4, 6-4
1. Muppidi/Skinner (BC) def. #51 Somen/Tocci (VT) 8-5
2. Oliveira/Hunter Koontz (VT) def. Michael McGinnis/Grokenberger (BC) 8-4
3. Nelson/Wagner (BC) def. Kujundzic/Antun (VT) 9-8(3)
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_MTennis).