BLACKSBURG, Va. – After trailing 1-0 following the doubles point, the No. 37 Virginia Tech men’s tennis team picked up four singles wins to secure the 4-3 win over No. 39 Maryland on Friday afternoon at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center in Blacksburg, Va.
Tech's (4-2, 2-0 ACC) Lucas Oliveira and Hunter Koontz paired up in the No. 2 doubles for the lone Hokies' win, taking an 8-6 win over Maryland’s (3-5, 0-2 ACC) Tommy Laine and Vlad Stefan. Maryland claimed the other two matches to take a 1-0 lead heading into singles.
The Hokies knotted up the match at one all as Patrick Daciek defeated Sergio Wyss, 6-3, 6-1 in the No. 3. Maryland reclaimed its advantage with a victory by John Collins in the No. 4 match with scores of 6-3, 6-3 against Tech’s Mauricio Antun.
Corrado Degl’Incerti Tocci picked up a win in the No. 5 singles, defeating Tommy Laine, 7-5, 6-1 to put the Hokies on top 2-1. Virginia Tech increased its advantage with a win in the No. 2 singles as No. 90 Lucas Oliveira handed Vlad Stefan a 6-2, 6-4 loss.
Tech clinched the team win on the next point scored when Trpimir Kujundzic downed Jesse Kiuru in the No. 6 singles with scores of 7-6(3), 6-3.
The Hokies will remain at Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center for their next match as they host No. 3 Virginia on Sunday, Feb. 26 at 1 p.m.
#37 Virginia Tech 4, #39 Maryland 3
1. Maros Horny (UM) def. #30 Luka Somen (VT) 6-3, 2-6, 6-2
2. #90 Lucas Oliveira (VT) def. Vlad Stefan (UM) 6-2, 6-4
3. Patrick Daciek (VT) def. Sergio Wyss (UM) 6-3, 6-1
4. John Collins (UM) def. Mauricio Antun (VT) 6-3, 6-3
5. Corrado Degl’Incerti Tocci (VT) def. Tommy Laine (UM) 7-5, 6-1
6. Trpimir Kujundzic (VT) def. Jesse Kiuru (UM) 7-6(3), 6-3
Order of finish: 3,4,5,2,6,1
1. #21 Collins/Horny (UM) def. #54 Somen/Tocci (VT) 8-3
2. Oliveira/Hunter Koontz (VT) def. Laine/Stefan (UM) 8-6
3. Kiuru/Andy Magee (UM) def. Antun/Kujundzic (VT) 8-3
Order of finish: 3,1,2
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_MTennis).