BLACKSBURG, Va. – The No. 37 Virginia Tech men’s tennis team dropped a tough 6-1 decision to in-state ACC rival No. 3 Virginia on Sunday afternoon at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center.
Virginia took the 1-0 lead after the doubles matches, winning two of the three. The Hokies No. 54 duo of Luka Somen and Corrado Degl’Incerti Tocci upset UVa’s No. 12 pair Drew Courtney and Jarmere Jenkins with a 9-7 score.
The ‘Hoos won the first three singles matches, picking up wins in the No. 4, 2 and 3 to secure the team victory and take a 4-0 lead on the Hokies.
Tech’s Tocci got the Hokies on the board first with a 6-3, 6-4 win in the No. 5, defeating Julien Uriguen.
The Hokies Trpimir Kujundzic battled to a three set decision in the No. 6 singles. Kujundzic took the opening set 7-6 over Philippe Oudshoorn, but the UVa player came back for a 6-3 win in the second set. Oudshoorn held off Kujundzic in the final set for a 7-5 decision.
No. 30 Somen claimed a 7-6 win in the opening set of the No. 1 singles against Alex Domijan. The two battled in the second set before Domijan held on for a 7-5 win. The ‘Hoos player took the third set 6-4 for the point.
The Hokies will host Minnesota on Saturday, March 3 followed by St. Bonaventure and James Madison on Sunday, March 4.
1. Alex Domijan (UVa) def. #30 Luka Somen (VT) 6-7(4), 7-5, 6-4
2. #1 Mitchell Frank (UVa) def. #90 Lucas Oliveira (VT) 6-1, 6-0
3. Drew Courtney (UVa) def. Patrick Daciek (VT) 6-4, 6-3
4. #37 Justin Shane (UVa) def. Mauricio Antun (VT) 6-2, 6-2
5. Corrado Degl’Incerti Tocci (VT) def. Julien Uriguen (UVa) 6-3, 6-4
6. Philippe Oudshoorn (UVa) def. Trpimir Kujundzic (VT) 6-7(4), 6-3, 7-5
Order of finish: 4,2,3*,5,6,1
1. #54 Somen/Tocci (VT) def. #12 Courtney/Jarmere Jenkins (UVa) 9-7
2. Frank/J. Uriguen (UVa) def. Oliveira/Hunter Koontz (VT) 8-6
3. #42 Domijan/Rooda (UVa) def. Daciek/Jon Pine (VT) 8-3
Order of finish: 3,2*,1
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_MTennis).