BLACKSBURG, Va. – The No. 40 Virginia Tech men’s tennis team picked up its second win on Sunday, defeating James Madison, 7-0 in the evening match of a doubleheader at Tech's Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center.
Tech (6-4) swept the doubles matches to take the early 1-0 lead. Luka Somen and Corrado Degl’ Incerti Tocci paired up in the No. 1 to defeat Bertrand Moulin and Greg Vladiminsky, 8-4. In the No. 2 doubles, Lucas Oliveira and Patrick Daciek secured the point for Tech with an 8-4 win against Ryan Pool and Florent Sentenac.
Freshman Mauricio Antun put the Hokies up 2-0 in the match with a win at the No. 3 singles. He defeated JMU’s Ramadier in straight sets with scores of 6-4, 6-2. Tocci gave the Hokies a 3-0 advantage in the match with a 6-4, 6-3 win against Moulin in the No. 4.
The match was secured for the Hokies with Somen’s win in the No. 1 singles as he defeated Vladiminsky, 6-4, 6-2.
Tech’s Koontz went to three sets in the No. 6 singles. After defeating Nissinen 6-3 in the opening set, the JMU player came back to pick up the 6-2 win against Koontz in the second set. Koontz was up 3-2 in the third set before Nissinen retired.
Kujundzic extended the Hokies lead to 6-0, defeating Sentenac in the No. 5. The Tech player held off Sentenac for a 7-5 win in the first set, but Sentenac answered with a 6-3 win in the second set. Kujundzic defeated him in the tiebreaker, 10-3 for the point.
In the No. 2 singles, Oliveira secured the sweep for the Hokies with a 7-6(0), 6-3 win against the Dukes’ Pool.
Tech will be back on the court next weekend, taking on No. 1 ranked Southern California in Los Angeles, Calif. The match is slated for Friday, March 9 beginning at 6 p.m. ET.
1. Luka Somen (VT) def. Greg Vladiminsky (JMU) 6-4, 6-2
2. Lucas Oliveira (VT) def. Ryan Pool (JMU) 7-6(0), 6-3
3. Mauricio Antun (VT) def. Hugo Ramadier (JMU) 6-4, 6-2
4. Corrado Degl’ Incerti Tocci (VT) def. Bertrand Moulin (JMU) 6-4, 6-3
5. Trpimir Kujundzic (VT) def. Florent Sentenac (JMU) 7-5, 3-6, 10-3
6. Hunter Koontz (VT) def. Tommi Nissinen (JMU) 6-3, 2-6, 3-2 ret.
Order of finish: 3,4,1*,6,5,2
1. Somen/Tocci (VT) def. Moulin/Vladiminsky (JMU) 8-4
2. Oliveira/Patrick Daciek (VT) def. Pool/Sentenac (JMU) 8-4
3. Koontz/Kujundzic (VT) def. Nissinen/Ramadier (JMU) 8-3
Order of finish: 1,2*,3
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_MTennis).