|(56) Virginia Tech||3|
LOUISVILLE, Ky. – The No. 56 Virginia Tech men’s tennis team was edged by No. 40 Louisville, 4-3 on Saturday evening at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center in Louisville, Ky.
The Hokies (6-6) got off to a strong start, sweeping the doubles point to take the 1-0 lead.
In the No. 1 doubles the Hokies secured the point as No. 47 Luka Somen and Corrado Degl’ Incerti Tocci paired up for an 8-3 decision against the Cards’ No. 55 pair of Andrew Carter and Albert Wagner.
Louisville tied up the match, 1-1 with a win in the No. 6 singles and took a 2-1 lead after winning the No. 4. The Hokies answered with wins in the No. 1 and No. 5 matches.
In the No. 1, the 84th-ranked Somen defeated Steifelmeyer, 6-4, 6-1. Tocci followed that up with a three set win against Hall in the No. 5. After falling behind 6-4 in the first set, Tocci rallied to take the second and third sets, 6-1, 6-2 to give the Hokies a 3-2 lead in the match.
The Cards knotted the match at 3-3 with a win in the No. 3 where Tech’s Daciek battled with Carter to three sets. Daciek won the opening set, 6-3, but the Cards’ player answered with 6-3, 6-4 scores in the next two sets.
The No. 2 singles was the deciding match as the Hokies’ No. 89 Oliveira squared off against Wagner for a close three set match. Oliveira won the first set, 6-2. Wagner came back in the second set, holding on for the 7-5 decision. In the third set the two went back and forth, but Wagner outlasted Oliveira in the tiebreaker to secure the team point and the match, 7-6(5).
Tech will be back on the court, Friday, March 23 at North Carolina. The match is set for 3 p.m. in Chapel Hill, N.C. The Hokies will remain in the Triangle to face Duke on Sunday, March 25.
1. #84 Luka Somen (VT) def. Sebastian Stiefelmeyer (UL) 6-4, 6-1
2. Albert Wagner (UL) def. #89 Lucas Oliveira (VT) 2-6, 7-5, 7-6(5)
3. Andrew Carter (UL) def. Patrick Daciek (VT) 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
4. Michael Lippens (UL) def. Mauricio Antun (VT) 6-4, 6-3
5. Corrado Degl’ Incerti Tocci (VT) def. Robert Hall (UL) 4-6, 6-1, 6-2
6. Luis Elizondo (UL) def. Trpimir Kujundzic (VT) 6-2, 6-1
Order of finish: 6, 4, 1, 5, 3, 2
1. #47 Somen/Tocci (VT) def. #55 Carter/Wagner (UL) 8-3
2. Daciek/Oliveira (VT) def. Lippens/Hall (UL) 8-3
3. Kujundzic/Hunter Koontz (VT) def. Stiefelmeyer/Elizondo (UL) 8-5
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_MTennis).