April 1, 2012
Hokies rally past Wake, 4-3
Men's tennis fell behind 3-1, but rallied for an ACC win against the Deacs
BLACKSBURG, Va. – After falling behind 3-1, the No. 63 Virginia Tech men’s tennis team rallied to defeat Wake Forest, 4-3 on Sunday afternoon at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center in Blacksburg, Va.
The Hokies (8-8, 4-3 ACC) fell behind 1-0 after dropping the doubles point. Tech’s Hunter Koontz and Trpimir Kujundzic picked up a win in doubles for the Hokies, defeating Conner Sherwood and Alex Tsai, 8-5 in the No. 3 match.
Wake (9-12, 0-6 ACC) went up 2-0 in the match after tallying a win in the No. 6 singles before the Hokies got on the board as senior Luka Somen closed the team score to 2-1 with a win in the No. 1. The 119th-ranked Somen, defeated David Hopkins in straight sets with scores of 6-1, 6-2.
The Deacs notched their third point of the match with a win in the No. 2 singles, but junior Kujundzic defeated Sherwood, 6-3, 6-4 in the No. 5 to pull the Hokies back to within one, 3-2.
Seniors Patrick Daciek and Corrado Degl’ Incerti Tocci were on the court for Tech in the deciding matches at No. 3 and 4, respectively.
After winning the first set 6-4, Daciek outlasted Amogh Prabhakar in the second set, 7-6(4) to secure the tying point for the Hokies.
Tocci fell in the opening set of the No. 5 singles, 6-3 against Adam Lee, but responded to claim sets two and three with scores of 6-2, 6-3 for the needed team point to give the Hokies the 4-3 win. It was the second deciding match of the weekend for Tocci after he secured the point for the team win on Friday against NC State.
The Hokies will be back on the court, hosting VCU on Tuesday, April 3 at 1 p.m.
1. #119 Luka Somen (VT) def. David Hopkins (WF) 6-1, 6-2
2. Danny Kreyman (WF) def. #123 Lucas Oliveira (VT) 7-5, 6-2
3. Patrick Daciek (VT) def. Amogh Prabhakar (WF) 6-4, 7-6(4)
4. Corrado Degl’ Incerti Tocci (VT) def. Adam Lee (WF) 3-6, 6-2, 6-3
5. Trpimir Kujundzic (VT) def. Conner Sherwood (WF) 6-3, 6-4
6. Alex Tsai (WF) def. Hunter Koontz (VT) 6-2, 6-3
1. Hopkins/Prabhakar (WF) def. Somen/Tocci (VT) 9-8(3)
2. Kreyman/Lee (WF) def. Daciek/Oliveira (VT) 8-4
3. Koontz/Kujundzic (VT) def. Sherwood/Tsai (WF) 8-5
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_MTennis).