No. 42 VCU edges Hokies, 4-3
Seniors notch wins in singles
| (42) VCU ||4|
| (51) Virginia Tech||3|
BLACKSBURG, Va. – The No. 51 Virginia Tech men’s tennis team was edged by No. 42 VCU, 4-3, on Tuesday afternoon at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center in Blacksburg, Va.
Tech (8-9) fell behind 1-0 after the Rams (17-4) picked up the doubles point. The Hokies’ No. 3 duo of Hunter Koontz
and Trpimir Kujundzic
had a win, defeating Alejandro Argente and Jaime Vazquez, 8-4.
VCU extended its lead to 2-0 before the Hokies got on the board with a win from Patrick Daciek
in the No. 3 singles. Daciek rolled past Filip Svensson, 6-2, 6-3.
The Rams clinched the team victory with wins in the next two completed matches, winning the No. 6 and No. 2 singles.
Tech’s Corrado Degl’ Incerti Tocci defeated Argente in the No. 4 singles in a three set match. After picking up the first set, 6-4, Tocci fell in the second set, 6-2. Tocci secured the match with a 6-2 score in the third set.
In the No. 1 singles, No. 119 Luka Somen
battled against VCU’s No. 74 Alexis Heugas. The two went back-and-forth in a three set match, with Somen taking the opening set 7-5. Heugas responed for a 7-5 win in the second set. In the third set, the two traded points, but Somen outlasted Heugas to secure the match, 7-6(5).
The Hokies will be back on the court this weekend, traveling to Georgia Tech
on Friday and Clemson on Saturday.
1. #119 Luka Somen (VT) def. #74 Alexis Heugas (VCU) 7-5, 5-7, 7-6(5)
3. Patrick Daciek (VT) def. Filip Svensson (VCU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Corrado Degl’ Incerti Tocci (VT) def. Alejandro Argente (VCU) 6-4, 4-6, 6-2
6. Jaime Vazquez (VCU) def. Trpimir Kujundzic (VT) 7-6(2), 6-3
1. #65 Baroz/Heugas (VCU) def. #46 Somen/Tocci (VT) 8-5
2. Svensson/Wennakoski (VCU) def. Daciek/Oliveira (VT) 8-5
3. Hunter Koontz/Kujundzic (VT) def. Argente/Vazquez (VCU) 8-4
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_MTennis).