Hokies drop 5-2 decision at No. 70 Georgia Tech
Luka Somen picks up win over 11th-ranked Kevin King
ATLANTA – The No. 51 ranked Virginia Tech men’s tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision to No. 70 Georgia Tech on Friday afternoon at the Bill Moore Tennis Center in Atlanta. Virginia Tech falls to 8-10 and 4-4 in the ACC while Georgia Tech improves to 9-9 and 4-4 in the league.
The Hokies fell behind 1-0 after losing the doubles point. Virginia Tech’s No. 2 duo of Patrick Daciek
and Lucas Oliveira
secured a win to prevent the sweep, defeating the Yellow Jackets’ Sebastian Lopez and Vikram Hundal, 8-4.
Virginia Tech picked up two wins in singles, securing points in the match. The Hokies’ 119th-ranked Luka Somen
had an upset win in the No. 1 singles as the senior knocked off 11th-ranked Kevin King in straight sets with scores of 6-2, 6-2.
Daciek carried his doubles win into singles as he battled against Georgia Tech’s Dusan Milijevic in the No. 3. The Hokies’ senior claimed the first set 7-6(3), but fell 6-2 in the second set. In the tiebreaker, Daciek held off Milijevic 1-0(8) to secure the point.
Tech will wrap up its regular season road schedule on Saturday at Clemson. The match is slated to begin at 3 p.m. at the Hoke Sloan Tennis Center in Clemson, S.C.
1. #119 Luka Somen (VT) def. #11 Kevin King (GT) 6-2, 6-2
2. Juan Spir (GT) def. #123 Lucas Oliveira (VT) 6-3, 6-2
3. Patrick Daciek (VT) def. Dusan Milijevic (GT) 7-6(3), 2-6, 1-0(8)
4. Juan Melian (GT) def. Corrado Degl’ Incerti Tocci (VT) 6-3, 6-4
1. #7 King/Spir (GT) def. #47 Somen/Tocci (VT) 8-5
2. Daciek/Oliveira (VT) def. Lopez/Hundal (GT) 8-4
3. Milijevic/Eduardo Segura (GT) def. Hunter Koontz
/Kujundzic (VT) 8-6
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_MTennis).