April 7, 2012
Tech downs Clemson, 4-3
Hokies sweep doubles and win top three singles
CLEMSON, S.C. – The No. 51 Virginia Tech men’s tennis team picked up an ACC win on Saturday afternoon, defeating No. 66 Clemson, 4-3 at the Hoke Sloan Center in Clemson, S.C. Tech improves to 9-10 and 5-4 in the ACC while the Tigers fall to 8-12 and 4-5 in the league.
Virginia Tech got out to the 1-0 lead, sweeping the doubles matches. The Hokies No. 46 duo of Luka Somen and Corrado Degl’ Incerti Tocci defeated Yannick Maden and Aryton Wibowo, 8-3 in the No. 1 doubles.
In the No. 3 doubles, Tech’s Hunter Koontz and Trpimir Kujundzic secured the 8-4 win against Dominique Maden and Wes Moran. The Hokies’ No. 2 doubles team of Patrick Daciek and Lucas Oliveira defeated Gerardo Meza and Zachary Rigsby, 6-5(5).
Tech secured the points needed for the team victory with straight set wins in the top three singles matches. In the No. 1, Tech’s 119th-ranked Somen downed Clemson’s 66th-ranked Yannick Maden, 6-2, 6-3.
The Hokies No. 123 Oliveira secured a 6-4, 6-4 win against Meza in the No. 2 singles. Patrick Daciek defeated Wibowo, 6-1, 6-3 in the No. 3 singles.
Tech will wrap up the regular season next weekend, hosting Miami on Friday and Florida State on Sunday.
1. #119 Luka Somen (VT) def. # 66 Yannick Maden (CU) 6-2, 6-3
2. #123 Lucas Oliveira (VT) def. Gerardo Meza (CU) 6-4, 6-4
3. Patrick Daciek (VT) def. Ayrton Wibowo (CU) 6-1, 6-3
4. Dominique Maden (CU) def. Corrado Degl’ Incerti Tocci (VT) 6-2, 7-5
5. Hunter Harrington (CU) def. Mauricio Antun (VT) 6-2, 6-2
6. Zachary Rigsby (CU) def. Trpimir Kujundzic (VT) 3-6, 6-4, 7-5
1. #46 Somen/Tocci (VT) def. Y. Maden/Wibowo (CU) 8-3
2. Daciek/Oliveira (VT) def. Meza/Rigsby (CU) 6-5(7-5)
3. Hunter Koontz/Kujundzic (VT) def. D. Maden/Wes Moran (CU) 8-4
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_MTennis).