April 15, 2012
Hokies hold off No. 29 Florida State, 4-3
Senior Luka Somen had win to clinch Tech victory on Senior Day
April 15, 2012
BLACKSBURG, Va. – The No. 51 Virginia Tech men’s tennis team held off No. 29 Florida State on Sunday afternoon to secure the 4-3 win at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center in Blacksburg, Va. Tech improves to 11-10 overall and 7-4 in the ACC while FSU falls to 16-8 and 7-4 in the league.
Hokies got out to a 1-0 lead after taking the doubles point. Tech’s 51st-ranked senior duo of Luka Somen and Corrado Degl’ Incerti Tocci teamed up in the No. 1 to defeat FSU’s 47th-ranked pair Blake Davis and Jordan Kelly-Houston, 8-2.
The No. 2 singles clinched the point for Tech as senior Patrick Daciek and junior Lucas Oliveira notched an 8-6 decision against Dominic Cotrone and Anderson Reed.
FSU tied the match at 1-1 with a win in the No. 6 singles, but the Hokies reclaimed the lead as Daciek took the No. 3 match in straight sets, defeating Andres Bucaro, 6-3, 6-2.
The Seminoles again knotted the match up at 2-2 after winning the No. 2 singles. Tech’s Mauricio Antun put the Hokies back on top as he battled against Christian Gonzalez Mendez in the No. 5. After dropping the first set, 6-2, Antun rallied to take the next two sets, 7-5, 6-3.
Somen clinched the match for the Hokies with a win in the No. 1 singles against FSU’s Kelly-Houston. The two went back-and-forth with Somen winning the opening set, 6-4 but Kelly-Houston took the second set, 6-3. In the third set, Somen held off Kelly-Houston for the 6-4 win.
Tech will be in action this week at the ACC Championships, April 19-22 in Cary, N.C.
1. #44 Luka Somen (VT) def. Jordan Kelly-Houston (FSU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-4
2. Blake Davis (FSU) def. Lucas Oliveira (VT) 6-3, 7-6(7)
3. Patrick Daciek (VT) def. Andres Bucaro (FSU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Benjamin Lock (FSU) def. Corrado Degl’ Incerti Tocci (VT) 6(7)-7, 6-4, 6-3
5. Mauricio Antun (VT) def. Christian Gonzalez Mendez (FSU) 2-6, 7-5, 6-3
6. Jason Zafiros (FSU) def. Trpimir Kujundzic (VT) 6-4, 6-4
1. #51 Somen/Tocci (VT) def. #47 Davis/Kelly-Houston (FSU) 8-2
2. Daciek/Oliveira (VT) def. Dominic Cotrone/Anderson Reed (FSU) 8-6
3. Bucaro/Lock (FSU) def. Koontz/Kujundzic (VT) 8-7(5)
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_MTennis).