DURHAM, N.C. – The 43rd-ranked Virginia Tech men’s tennis team was edged on Friday afternoon by No. 37 Northwestern as part of the ITA Kickoff Weekend event in Durham, N.C.
Tech fell behind 1-0 after dropping the doubles point to the Wildcats. Northwestern claimed wins in the No. 2 and No. 3 spots. The Hokies led in the No. 1 doubles with No. 15 Andreas Bjerrehus and Amerigo Contini up 7-5 over Fedor Baev and Spencer Wolf. The match went unfinished since the point had already been decided.
In singles, the Hokies tied up the match 1-1 as Tech’s 56th-ranked Contini rolled to a straight set win in the No. 2, defeating No. 108 Raleigh Smith, 6-3, 6-2.
The Wildcats reclaimed the lead with a win in the No. 3, but again Tech tied up the team points as the Hokies’ 29th-ranked Bjerrehus took the No. 1. Bjerrehus downed Wolf, 7-5, 6-4.
Lucas Oliveira put the Hokies on top 3-2, claiming the No. 4 singles by defeating Alex Pasareanu in three sets. After winning in the opening set, 6-3, Oliveira fell 6-1 in the second before rallying back to take the final set, 6-1.
The deciding match was the No. 5 where Tech’s Mauricio Antun battled NU’s Chris Jackman to three. Jackman took the first set, 6-2, but Antun responded to win the second set, 6-4. The two went back and forth in the third set before Jackman held off Antun for the 7-6(8) win.
Tech will be back on the court on Sunday, Jan. 27 when the Hokies face Middle Tennessee in the consolation match at 9 a.m.
1. #29 Andreas Bjerrehus (VT) def. Spencer Wolf (NU) 7-5, 6-4
2. #56 Amerigo Contini (VT) def. #108 Raleigh Smith (NU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Sidarth Balaji (NU) def. Hunter Koontz (VT) 6-4, 7-6(6)
4. Lucas Oliveira (VT) def. Alex Pasareanu (NU) 6-3, 1-6, 6-1
5. Chris Jackman (NU) def. Mauricio Antun (VT) 6-2, 4-6, 7-6(8)
6. Fedor Baev (NU) def. Trpimir Kujundzic (VT) 6-7(7), 7-5, 7-5
Order of finish: 2,3,1,4,5,6
1. #15 Bjerrehus/Contini vs. Baev/Wolf (NU) 7-5 dnf
2. Balaji/Smith (NU) def. Koontz/Oliveira (VT) 8-5
3. Mihir Kumar/Pasareanu (NU) def. Antun/Kujundzic (VT) 8-6
Order of finish: 2,3
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_MTennis).