|(46) Middle Tennessee||4|
|(43) Virginia Tech||3|
DURHAM, N.C. – The 43rd-ranked Virginia Tech men’s tennis team fell to No. 46 Middle Tennessee, 4-3 on Sunday during the final day of competition at the ITA Kickoff Weekend in Durham, N.C.
The Hokies extended their lead going in to singles as 56th-ranked Contini downed Lang, 7-5, 7-6(2) in the No. 2 to give Tech a 2-0 lead in the match.
Aaron Gomez put the Hokies on top, 3-0 with a win in the No. 6. Gomez defeated David Fox in three sets. After falling 6-3 in the opening set, the Tech freshman rallied to claim sets two and three with scores of 7-5, 6-1.
Middle Tennessee responded though to win the other singles matches in tough three set battles to secure the team win. The Blue Raiders got on the board with a win in the No. 5 as Ettore Zito rallied past Mauricio Antun, 4-6, 6-0, 6-2.
The Blue Raiders scored their second point with a win in the No. 1. MT’s No. 101 Davis defeated Tech’s No. 29 Bjerrehus, 1-6, 6-2, 6-4.
MT tied the match at 3-3 in the No. 4 as Born held off Oliveira. The Tech senior claimed the first set 6-4, but Born answered with a 6-2 win in the second. The two battled in the final set as Born held on for the 7-6(6) win.
Middle Tennessee secured the team win with a victory in the No. 3. MT’s Comea took the first set 6-3, but Tech’s Koontz claimed the second set, 6-3. The two went back and forth in the final set, but Comea secured the win 7-6(5).
The Hokies will be back on the court on Saturday, Feb. 2 when they host Coastal Carolina at 11 a.m. at Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center.
1. #101 Ben Davis (MT) def. #29 Andreas Bjerrehus (VT) 1-6, 6-2, 6-4
2. #56 Amerigo Contini (VT) def. Christoph Lang (MT) 7-5, 7-6(2)
3. Victor Comea (MT) def. Hunter Koontz (VT) 6-3, 3-6, 7-6(5)
4. Yannick Born (MT) def. Lucas Oliveira (VT) 4-6, 6-2, 7-6(6)
5. Ettore Zito (MT) def. Mauricio Antun (VT) 4-6, 6-0, 6-2
6. Aaron Gomez (VT) def. David Fox (MT) 3-6, 7-5, 6-1
Order of finish: 2,6,5,1,4,3*
1. #15 Bjerrehus/Contini (VT) def. Lang/Marlon Brand (MT) 8-1
2. Koontz/Oliveira (VT) def. Comea/Born (MT) 8-4
3. Antun/Marko Lovrinovic (VT) vs. Davis/Fox (MT) 6-5 dnf
Order of finish: 1,2
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_MTennis).