BLACKSBURG, Va. – The 46th-ranked Virginia Tech men’s tennis team cruised to a 7-0 win over St. Bonaventure on Friday afternoon at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center in Blacksburg, Va.
The Hokies (5-2) got out to the quick 1-0 lead, sweeping the doubles matches early. Andreas Bjerrehus and Hunter Koontz teamed up on court one to defeat the Bonnies’ (2-2) Luis Guevara and Oscar Yanez, 8-2.
Virginia Tech secured the doubles point with a win in the No. 3 as Joao Monteiro and Lucas Oliveira paired up to defeat Celso de vera Rehberger and Trevor Haskell, 8-1.
The Hokies kept it going and took a 2-0 lead in the match as Mauricio Antun swept Yanez, 6-0, 6-0 in the No. 2 to give Tech the 2-0 team lead in the match. Lovrinovic posted a 6-0, 6-4 decision over de Vera Rehberger in the No. 6 as Tech went on top 3-0.
Koontz clinched the team win for the Hokies as he defeated Fanshel, 6-2, 6-2 in the No. 1 singles match.
In the No. 5, Aaron Gomez dropped SBU’s Haskell with straight set scores of 6-1, 6-1. Freshman Joao Monteiro fell behind in the second set against the Bonnies’ Javier Ortiz in the No. 4 singles before rallying to win 6-1, 6-3.
Kujundzic completed the sweep for the Hokies as he downed Guevara, 6-4, 6-3 on court No. 3.
The Hokies will return to Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center to host No. 48 Michigan State on Sunday, Feb. 17. Match time is set for 1 p.m.
1. Hunter Koontz (VT) def. Elliott Fanshel (SB) 6-2, 6-2
2. Mauricio Antun (VT) def. Oscar Yanez (SB) 6-0, 6-0
3. Trpimir Kujundzic (VT) def. Luis Guevara (SB) 6-4, 6-3
4. Joao Monteiro (VT) def. Javier Ortiz (SB) 6-1, 6-3
5. Aaron Gomez (VT) def. Trevor Haskell (SB) 6-1, 6-1
6. Marko Lovrinovic (VT) def. Celso de Vera Rehberger (SB) 6-0, 6-4
Order of finish: 2,6,1,5,4,3
1. Andreas Bjerrehus/Koontz (VT) def. Guevara/Yanez (SB) 8-2
2. Kujundzic/Lovrinovic (VT) def. Fanshel/Ortiz (SB) 8-4
3. Monteiro/Lucas Oliveira (VT) def. de Vera Rehberger/Haskell (SB) 8-1
Order of finish: 1,3,2
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_MTennis).