BLACKSBURG, Va. – The 49th-ranked Virginia Tech men’s tennis team battled No. 38 Louisville on Sunday afternoon, but fell to the Cardinals in a tough 4-3 match at Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center.
The Hokies (6-3) got out to a great start, sweeping doubles play. Tech’s nationally-ranked No. 11 duo of Andreas Bjerrehus and Amerigo Contini picked up the first win for the Hokies, defeating No. 36 Alex Gornet and Albert Wagner of Louisville (8-6), 8-3 in the top spot.
Clinching the point for Tech was Trpimir Kujundzic and Marko Lovrinovic, who knocked off Jeffery Brown and Austin Siegel, 8-3, on court three. Rounding out doubles was a close, 8-7 win for Hunter Koontz and Lucas Oliveira on court two over Van Damrongsri and Sebastian Stiefelmeyer of Louisville.
Tech’s 44th-ranked Bjerrehus kept things rolling for the Hokies as he claimed the first singles point from the No. 2 position when he defeated Wagner 6-3, 6-3. Louisville followed, earning its first point of the day with a win in the No. 6 when Gornet knocked off Tech’s Joao Monteiro, 6-1, 6-4.
The Hokies went on top 3-1 in the team scoring as Oliveira topped Michael Lippens in the No. 3 match with straight set scores of 6-3, 6-4.
Louisville answered with the Cardinals taking the matches on courts three and five to tie the match at 3-3.
It all came down to No. 1 singles to decide the match where Tech’s 65th ranked Contini battled Louisville’s No. 155 Stiefelmeyer to three sets. The Hokie freshman claimed the first set 7-6(3), but fell to the Cardinals’ Stiefelmeyer in the next two sets, 6-2, 6-3.
Virginia Tech will be back on the court on Tuesday, March 5 when the Hokies host James Madison at 2 p.m.
1. #115 Sebastian Stiefelmeyer (UL) def. #65 Amerigo Contini (VT) 6(3)- 7, 6-2, 6-3
2. #44 Andreas Bjerrehus (VT) def. Albert Wagner (UL) 6-3, 6-3
3. Chris Simich (UL) def. Hunter Koontz (VT) 7-6(6), 7-5
4. Lucas Oliveira (VT) def. Michael Lippens (UL) 6-3, 6-4
5. Austin Siegel (UL) def. Trpimir Kujundzic (VT) 6-4, 7-6(4)
6. Alex Gornet (UL) def. Joao Monteiro (VT) 6-1, 6-4
Order Finish: 2, 6, 4, 3, 5, 1*
1. #11 Bjerrehus/Contini (VT) def. #31 Gornet/Wagner (UL) 8-3
2. Koontz/Oliveira (VT) def. Van Damrongsri/Stiefelmeyer (UL) 8-7(4)
3. Kujundzic/Marko Lovrinovic (VT) def. Jeffery Brown/Siegel (UL) 8-3
Order Finish: 1, 3*, 2
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_MTennis).