BLACKSBURG, Va. – The Virginia Tech men’s tennis team claimed the doubles point early and never looked back as the Hokies rolled to a 7-0 win over in-state foe James Madison on Tuesday afternoon at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center.
Virginia Tech got out to the early 1-0 lead in the match, winning the doubles point to get the afternoon started. Trpimir Kujundzic and Marko Lovrinovic paired up in the No. 3 for an 8-2 win over JMU's duo of Bastien Russo and Florent Sentenac.
In the No. 1 singles, Tech's 8th-ranked tandem of Andreas Bjerrehus and Amerigo Contini fell behind 7-4 against the Dukes' Ryan Pool and Robert Stirling. The Tech duo responded though and rallied back to tie the match at 7-7 and went on to claim the win 9-8(7-4).
Tech’s 68th-ranked Contini put the Hokies on top 2-0 with a straight set win in the No. 2 singles, defeating Vladimirsky, 6-3, 6-1. Koontz defeated Ramadier 6-1, 6-3 in the No. 4 to give the Hokies a 3-0 lead in the match.
Lovrinovic secured the team win for the Hokies with a win on court six as he defeated Maxi Branth, 6-4, 6-3.
On court five, Kujundzic downed Sentenac, 6-3, 6-2 as the Hokies moved to a 5-0 lead in the match. Tech’s 74th-ranked Bjerrehus dropped JMU’s Pool on court one with scores of 6-4, 6-3.
Rounding out the scoring for the Hokies was Oliveira who claimed a 6-4, 6-2 decision against Robert Stirling in the No. 3.
The Hokies will be back on the court on Monday, March 11 when they face Old Dominion in a neutral site match at Boonsboro Country Club in Lynchburg, Va. The match is slated for 6 p.m. and is being tabbed the Hill City Cup, an event that the country club looks to host annually between Tech and another team from the state of Virginia.
1. #74 Andreas Bjerrehus (VT) def. Ryan Pool (JMU) 6-4, 6-3
2. #68 Amerigo Contini (VT) def. Greg Vladimirsky (JMU) 6-3, 6-1
3. Lucas Oliveira (VT) def. Robert Stirling (JMU) 6-4, 6-2
4. Hunter Koontz (VT) def. Hugo Ramadier (JMU) 6-1, 6-3
5. Trpimir Kujundzic (VT) def. Florent Sentenac (JMU) 6-3, 6-2
6. Marko Lovrinovic (VT) def. Maxi Branth (JMU) 6-4, 6-3
Order of finish: 2,4,6*,5,1,3
1. #8 Bjerrehus/Contini (VT) def. Pool/Stirling (JMU) 9-8(4)
2. Koontz/Oliveira (VT) def. Ramadier/Vladimirsky (JMU) 8-5
3. Kujundzic/Lovrinovic (VT) def. Bastien Russo/Sentenac (JMU) 8-2
Order of finish: 3,2,1
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_MTennis).