LYNCHBURG, Va. – The 65th-ranked Virginia Tech men’s tennis team defeated 54th-ranked Old Dominion, 5-0 on Monday evening at the Boonsboro Country Club in Lynchburg, Va.
Tech (8-3) started the match strong, picking up the doubles point to take a 1-0 lead. Hunter Koontz and Lucas Oliveira paired up in the No. 2 doubles to pick up an 8-6 win over Jonas Kuwert and Albert Ochagavia.
The Hokies clinched the doubles point in the No. 1 doubles. Tech’s eighth-ranked pair of Andreas Bjerrehus and Amerigo Contini fell behind 7-4 to ODU’s (10-4) No. 58 Can Centinel and Carlos Lopez-Villa. The Virginia Tech pair battled back to claim the match 9-7.
Tech continued to score, going into singles as Koontz picked up a 6-1, 6-4 victory over Wesley Barrett in the No. 4. Oliveira put the Hokies on top 3-0 with a win in the No. 3, defeating Dante Terenzio with straight set scores of 6-4, 6-3.
The Hokies’ 74th-ranked Bjerrehus secured the win for Tech in the No. 2 singles with a 6-2, 7-5 decision against Ochagavia.
No. 68 Contini also had a win for the Hokies with a three set battle on court one. ODU’s Lopez-Villa took the opening set, 6-3, but Contini came back to win the next two, 6-3, 6-4.
This marked the first Hill City Cup event at Boonsboro Country Club and drew a crowd of 325. The club looks to make it an annual event between Virginia Tech and teams from around the country.
The Hokies will be back on the court when they open the ACC slate on Sunday, March 17, hosting Boston College in a noon match at Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center.
1. #68 Amerigo Contini (VT) def. Carlos Lopez-Villa (ODU) 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
2. #74 Andreas Bjerrehus (VT) def. Albert Ochagavia (ODU) 6-2, 7-5
3. Lucas Oliveira (VT) def. Dante Terenzio (ODU) 6-4, 6-3
4. Hunter Koontz (VT) def. Wesley Barrett (ODU) 6-1, 6-4
5. Trpimir Kujundzic (VT) vs. Jonas Kuwert (ODU) dnp
6. Aaron Gomez (VT) vs. Zvonimir Podvinski (ODU) dnp
Order of finish: 4,3,2*,1
1. #8 Bjerrehus/Contini (VT) def. #58 Can Centinel/Lopez-Villa (ODU) 9-7
2. Koontz/Oliveira (VT) def. Kuwert/Ochagavia (ODU) 8-6
3. Barrett/Tim Schweig (ODU) def. Kujundzic/Marko Lovrinovic (VT) 8-6
Order of finish: 2,1*,3
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_MTennis).