BLACKSBURG, Va. – The 59th-ranked Virginia Tech men’s tennis team swept Boston College in the ACC opener, 7-0 on Sunday afternoon at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center.
The Hokies (9-3, 1-0 ACC) got out to the 1-0 lead in the match, winning all three doubles. Tech’s 21st-ranked tandem of Andreas Bjerrehus and Amerigo Contini rolled past BC’s (5-6, 0-1 ACC) Philip Nelson and Michael McGinnis in the No. 1 with a score of 8-2.
Tech clinched the doubles point with a win in the No. 3 as Trpimir Kujundzic and Marko Lovrinovic paired up for an 8-6 decision against Kyle Childree and Alexandre Thirouin. The Hokies also had the win on court two where Hunter Koontz and Lucas Oliveira battled past Billy Gronkenberger and Matt Wagner, 8-7 (7-2).
The Hokies extended their lead with No. 73 ranked Contini’s win in the No. 2 singles, defeating McGinnis, 6-0, 6-2. Oliveira followed that up with a 6-1, 6-3 decision over Jonathan Raude in the No. 3 match to put the Hokies on top, 3-0.
Tech’s Kujundzic clinched the match for the Hokies as he defeated Childree on court four with straight set scores of 6-2, 6-2.
Virginia Tech’s 91st-ranked Bjerrehus claimed a 6-4, 6-4 win against Nelson in the No. 1 singles to give the Hokies a 5-0 advantage.
The Hokies got their final points on courts five and six. In the No. 6 singles, Joao Monteiro downed Wager, 6-4, 6-0. Aaron Gomez claimed the win in the No. 5, defeating Gronkenberger, 6-3, 7-6 (7-5).
Tech will be back on the court at home next weekend, hosting North Carolina on Friday, March 22 at 2 p.m. The Hokies will host Duke on Sunday, March 24, beginning at 1 p.m.
1. #91 Andreas Bjerrehus (VT) def. Philip Nelson (BC) 6-4, 6-4
2. #73 Amerigo Contini (VT) def. Michael McGinnis (BC) 6-0, 6-2
3. Lucas Oliveira (VT) def. Jonathan Raude (BC) 6-1, 6-3
4. Trpimir Kujundzic (VT)) def. Kyle Childree (BC) 6-2, 6-2
5. Aaron Gomez (VT) def. Billy Gronkenberger (BC) 6-3, 7-6 (7-5)
6. Joao Monteiro (VT) def. Matt Wagner (BC) 6-4, 6-0
Order of finish: 2,3,4,1,6,5
1. #21 Bjerrehus/Contini (BC) def. Nelson/McGinnis (BC) 8-2
2. Hunter Koontz/Oliveira (VT) def. Gronkenberger/Wagner (BC) 8-7 (7-2)
3. Kujundzic/Marko Lovrinovic (VT) def. Childree/Alexandre Thirouin (BC) 8-6
Order of finish: 1,3,2
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_MTennis).