BLACKSBURG, Va. – The 59th-ranked Virginia Tech men’s tennis team downed ACC foe No. 70 North Carolina, 4-3 on Friday afternoon in conference action at Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center.
The Hokies (10-3, 2-0 ACC) took the early lead in the match, winning two of the three doubles. After Carolina (7-9, 0-3 ACC) won the first finished doubles match in the No. 3, the Hokies had a win at the No. 1 as 21st-ranked Andreas Bjerrehus and Amerigo Contini downed Esben Hess-Olsen and Maik Ulrich, 8-5.
Virginia Tech went up 2-0 as Joao Monteiro had a win in the No. 6 singles, defeating Taylor Meyer in straight sets with scores of 6-1, 6-1.
The Hokies extended their lead with a win in the No. 1 as Tech’s 73rd-ranked Contini defeated 35th-ranked Hess-Olsen, 6-4, 6-3.
Carolina got on the board with wins in the No. 4 and No. 5 singles, but the Hokies secured the team win with a victory in the No. 2 where Virginia Tech’s 91st-ranked Bjerrehus downed 113th-ranked Vick, 7-6(5), 6-1.
Virginia Tech will be back on the court on Sunday, March 24 when the Hokies host No. 8 Duke in a 2 p.m. match at Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center.
1. #73 Amerigo Contini (VT) def. #35 Esben Hess-Olsen (UNC) 6-4, 6-3
2. #91 Andreas Bjerrehus (VT) def. #113 Nelson Vick (UNC) 7-6(5), 6-1
3. #104 Brett Clark (UNC) def. Lucas Oliveira (VT) 3-6, 6-1, 6-4
4. William Parker (UNC) def. Trpimir Kujundzic (VT) 7-5, 6-4
5. #114 Oystein Steiro (UNC) def. Hunter Koontz (VT) 6-4, 6-4
6. Joao Monteiro (VT) def. Taylor Meyer (UNC) 6-1, 6-1
Order of finish: 6,1,5,4,2,3
1. #21 Bjerrehus/Contini (VT) def. Hess-Olsen/Maik Ulrich (UNC) 8-5
2. Koontz Oliveira (VT) def. Vick/Parker (UNC) 8-5
3. Steiro/Clark (UNC) def. Kujundzic/Marko Lovrinovic (VT) 8-3
Order of finish: 3,1,2
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_MTennis).