CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The 54th-ranked Virginia Tech men’s tennis team fell to top ranked in-state ACC rival Virginia, 7-0 on Thursday afternoon in Charlottesville, Va.
The Hokies (10-5, 2-2 ACC) dropped the doubles point early and entered the singles’ matches trailing 1-0.
Virginia won the first three finished singles in straight sets to clinch the team win. Tech forced the matches in the No. 1 and No. 6 into three sets as two Tech freshmen battled a pair of UVa seniors.
Tech’s Joao Monteiro went head-to-head against the Cavaliers’ Julen Uriguen. UVa took the first set, 6-2, but Monteiro came back in the second set for a 6-1 win. Uriguen held off Monteiro in the final set to secure the 6-4 decision.
In the No. 1 singles, the Hokies’ 55th-ranked Amerigo Contini squared off against UVa’s 2nd-ranked Jarmere Jenkins. Contini took the first set 6-4, before Jenkins came back to edge Contini in the second set 7-5. In the final set, Jenkins answered to clinch the match 6-0.
The Hokies will remain on the road to face No. 30 VCU on Saturday, March 30 at 11 a.m. in Richmond, Va.
1. #2 Jarmere Jenkins (UVA) def. #55 Amerigo Contini (VT) 4-6, 7-5, 6-0
2. #27 Mitchell Frank (UVA) def. #81 Andreas Bjerrehus (VT) 6-1, 6-4
3. #1 Alex Domijan (UVA) def. Lucas Oliveira (VT) 6-2, 6-0
4. #16 Mac Styslinger (UVA) def. Hunter Koontz (VT) 6-3, 7-5
5. Justin Shane (UVA) def. Trpimir Kujundzic (VT) 7-5, 6-1
6. Julen Uriguen (UVA) def. Joao Monteiro (VT) 6-2, 1-6, 6-4
Order of finish: 3,5,2,4,6,1
1. #2 Jenkins/Styslinger (UVA) def. #20 Bjerrehus/Contini (VT) 8-4
2. #9 Domijan/Frank (UVA) def. Koontz/Oliveira (VT) 9-7
3. #31 Shane/Uriguen (UVA) def. Kujundzic/Marko Lovrinovic (VT) 8-6
Order of finish: 1,2,3
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_MTennis).