|(54) Virginia Tech||3|
RICHMOND, Va. – The 55th-ranked Virginia Tech men’s team was edged by 30th-ranked VCU, 4-3 on Saturday afternoon in Richmond, Va.
VCU (16-4) picked up the doubles point, winning two of the three matches. The Hokies’ (10-6) 20th-ranked pair of Andreas Bjerrehus and Amerigo Contini defeated the Rams’ 24th-ranked duo of Alexis Huegas and Dylan McCloskey in the No. 1 match, 8-6.
The Rams entered the singles matches up 1-0, but the Hokies came back to tie it up with a win in the No. 4 where Hunter Koontz defeated Claes Goransson in straight sets with scores of 6-0, 6-3.
VCU reclaimed the lead on the next finished singles, before the Hokies again knotted it up at 2-2. Trpimir Kujundzic defeated Michal Voscek, 6-2, 6-3 in the No. 5.
The Rams picked up a win in the No. 2 singles, but Tech responded with a win at six. Joao Monteiro defeated VCU’s Jaime Vazquez in three sets. After falling 6-2 in the first set, Monteiro came back to take the next two with scores of 6-4, 7-5.
The deciding match was at the No. 1 where Tech’s 81st-ranked Bjerrehus battled VCU’s 23rd-ranked Max Wennakoski to three sets. Bjerrehus took the first set, 7-5, but the Rams’ player rallied in the next two sets to secure the team win, 6-4, 6-1.
1. #23 Max Wennakoski (VCU) def. #81 Andreas Bjerrehus (VT) 5-7, 6-4, 6-1
2. #74 Alexis Huegas (VCU) def. #55 Amerigo Contini (VT) 7-5, 7-6(7-2)
3. Alejandro Argente (VCU) def. Lucas Oliveira (VT) 6-2, 6-3
4. Hunter Koontz (VT) def. Claes Goransson (VCU) 6-0, 6-3
5. Trpimir Kujundzic (VT) def. Michal Voscek (VCU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Joao Monteiro (VT) def. Jaime Vazquez (VCU) 2-6, 6-4, 7-5
Order of finish: 4,3,5,2,6,1
1. #20 Bjerrehus/Contini (VT) def. #24 Huegas/Dylan McCloskey (VCU) 8-6
2. Wennakoski/Voscek (VCU) def. Koontz/Oliveira (VT) 9-7
3. #58 Vazquez/Argente (VCU) def. Kujundzic/Marko Lovrinovic (VT) 8-5
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_MTennis).