|(36) NC State||3|
|(55) Virginia Tech||4|
RALEIGH, N.C. – The 55th-ranked Virginia Tech men’s tennis team defeated 36th-ranked NC State, 4-3 on Friday afternoon at Dall Outdoor Stadium in Raleigh, N.C.
Tech (11-6, 3-2 ACC) got out to a strong start, winning two of the three doubles matches to secure the point. The Hokies’ 20th-ranked doubles pair of Andreas Bjerrehus and Amerigo Contini downed the 16th-ranked duo of Sean Weber and Dave Thomson, 8-5 in the No. 1.
In singles, the Wolfpack tied the match with a win in the No. 3 and followed that up with a win in the No. 4 to take a 2-1 team lead in the match. NC State pushed the score to 3-1, claiming a win in the No. 5 singles.
The Hokies answered as 55th-ranked Contini defeated Mudge in straight sets with scores of 6-4, 6-3 in the No. 2 match. Virginia Tech tied the score at 3-3 with a win in the No. 1. Tech’s 81st-ranked Bjerrehus downed Austin Powell, 6-2, 7-6.
The deciding match came down to the No. 6 where Hokie freshman Joao Monteiro battled the Wolfpacks’ Beck Bond to three sets. Monteiro claimed the opening set, 6-4 but Bond came back in the second for a 6-2 win. In the final set, Monteiro outlasted Bond to secure the win, 7-5.
Virginia Tech will remain on the road to face Wake Forest on Sunday, April 7 at 1 p.m. in Winston-Salem, N.C.
1. #81 Andreas Bjerrehus (VT) def. Austin Powell (NCSU) 6-2, 7-6
2. #55 Amerigo Contini (VT) def. Robbie Mudge (NCSU) 6-4, 6-3
3. Dave Thomson (NCSU) def. Hunter Koontz (VT) 6-3, 6-3
4. Thomas Weigel (NCSU) def. Lucas Oliveira (VT) 6-3, 7-5
5. Sean Weber (NCSU) def. Trpimir Kujundzic (VT) 6-2, 6-4
6. Joao Monteiro (VT) def. Beck Bond (NCSU) 6-4, 2-6, 7-5
Order of finish: 3,4,5,2,1,6
1. #20 Bjerrehus/Contini (VT) def. #16 Weber/Thomson (NCSU) 8-5
2. Koontz/Oliveira (VT) def. Weigel/Mudge (NCSU) 8-5
3. Powell/Bond (NCSU) def. Kujundzic/Marko Lovrinovic (VT) 8-6
Order of finish: 1,2,3
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_MTennis).