The Hokies got out to the early leading, winning two of the three doubles matches. Virginia Tech’s No. 2 duo of Hunter Koontz and Lucas Oliveira defeated Georgia Tech’s Juan Melian and Nathan Rakitt with a score of 8-4.
In the No. 3, the Hokies’ Trpimir Kujundzic and Marko Lovrinovic downed the Yellow Jackets’ Colin Edwards and Vikram Hundal, 8-6, to secure the point and give the Hokies a 1-0 lead going into singles.
The Hokies took a 3-0 lead in singles with wins on courts five and six. Joao Monteiro defeated Anish Sharma in straight sets with scores of 6-1, 6-1 in the No. 5. In the No. 6, Trpimir Kujundzic secured the 6-3, 6-1 decision against Colin Edwards.
Virginia Tech’s 94th-ranked Andreas Bjerrehus secured the team win for the Hokies with a win in the No. 2. Bjerrehus downed Georgia Tech’s Juan Melian, 6-4, 6-4 as the Hokies took a 4-0 lead in the match.
The Yellow Jackets got on the board with a win in the No. 1 where Virginia Tech’s 73rd-ranked Amerigo Contini battled Georgia Tech’s 68th-ranked Juan Spir to three sets. Contini won the opening set 7-6(4), but Spir rallied to take the next two, 7-5, 6-2.
Oliveira put the Hokies on top, 5-1 as he claimed a win in the No. 4 against the Yellow Jackets’ Eduardo Segura. Oliveira won the first set 6-1, but Segura came back to hold on for a win in the second 7-6(5). Oliveira secured the win in the final set, 6-4.
The final point for the Hokies came at the No. 4 where Virginia Tech’s Koontz squared off against Georgia Tech’s Segura. Koontz won the first set 6-2, but Segura held off the Hokie player in the second set for a 7-6(3) win. In the final set, Koontz answered to secure the match 6-4.
Virginia Tech will wrap up the 2013 home schedule on Sunday, April 14, hosting No. 25 Clemson. The match marks senior day with the Hokies recognizing Kujundzic and Oliveira. Match time is slated for 1 p.m. at Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center.
1. #68 Juan Spir (GT) def. #73 Amerigo Contini (VT) 6-7(4), 7-5, 6-2
2. #94 Andreas Bjerrehus (VT) def. Juan Melian (GT) 6-4, 6-4
3. Hunter Koontz (VT) def. Nathan Rakitt (GT) 6-2, 6-7(3), 6-4
4. Lucas Oliveira (VT) def. Eduardo Segura (GT) 6-1, 6-7(5), 6-4
5. Joao Monteiro (VT) def. Anish Sharma (GT) 6-1, 6-1
6. Trpimir Kujundzic (VT) def. Colin Edwards (GT) 6-3, 6-1
Order of finish: 5,6,2,1,4,3
1. #67 Segura/Spir (GT) def. #14 Bjerrehus/Contini (VT) 8-4
2. Koontz/Oliveira (VT) def. Melian/Rakitt (GT) 8-4
3. Kujundzic/Marko Lovrinovic (VT) def. Edwards/Vikram Hundal (GT) 8-6
Order of finish: 1,2,3
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_MTennis).