BLACKSBURG, Va. - The 52nd-ranked Virginia Tech men's tennis team fell to 25th-ranked Clemson 4-3 in ACC action on Sunday afternoon at Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center. Sunday’s match marked the final home game for the Hokies this season as they honored seniors Trpimir Kujundzic and Lucas Oliveira prior to the match.
The Tigers (15-5, 4-3 ACC) claimed the doubles point early, winning all three matches against the Hokies (12-8, 4-4 ACC).
Clemson went up 2-0 with a win in the No. 6 as Zachary Rigsby picked up the 6-4, 6-2 win against Kujundzic, but the Hokies answered winning the next two finished singles matches.
Joao Monteiro claimed the win in the No. 5 with a score of 6-1, 6-4 against Dominique Maden as the Hokies cut in to the Tigers' lead, 2-1.
Tech knotted it at 2-2 with a win in the No. 1 where the Hokies' 73rd-ranked Amerigo Contini downed CU's 24th-ranked Yannick Maden in straight sets with scores of 6-2, 7-5.
Clemson won in the No. 4 with Ayrton Wibowo defeating Oliveira, 6-3, 6-2. The Tigers secured the team win in the No. 2 as Hunter Harrington held off 94th-ranked Andreas Bjerrehus in a three set match. The Clemson player won the first set 6-3, but Bjerrehus came back to take the second set 7-6(1). Harrington secured the win with a 6-2 score in the third.
The final point was scored in the No. 3. Tech’s Hunter Koontz and Clemson’s Gerardo Meza battled to three sets. After dropping the first match, 6-4, Koontz rallied back in the next two sets after falling behind in the count. The Tech sophomore secured the win with scores of 7-5, 7-5.
Virginia Tech will wrap up the regular season next weekend on the road, traveling to Miami and Florida State.
1. #73 Amerigo Contini (VT) def. #24 Yannick Maden (CU) 6-2, 7-5
2. Hunter Harrington (CU) def. #94 Andreas Bjerrehus (VT) 6-3, 6-7(1), 6-2
3. Hunter Koontz (VT) def. Gerardo Meza (CU) 4-6, 7-5, 7-5
4. Ayrton Wibowo (CU) def. Lucas Oliveira (VT) 6-3, 6-2
5. Joao Monteiro (VT) def. Dominique Maden (CU) 6-1, 6-4
6. Zachary Rigsby (CU) def. Trpimir Kujundzic (VT) 6-4, 6-2
Order of finish: 6,5,1,4,2,3
1. #22 D. Maden/Y. Maden (CU) def. #14 Bjerrehus/Contini (VT) 8-6
2. Rigsby/Wibowo (CU) def. Koontz/Oliveira (VT) 8-2
3. Harrington/Meza (CU) def. Kujundzic/Marko Lovrinovic (VT) 8-3
Order of finish: 2,3,1
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_MTennis).