|(52) Virginia Tech||7|
CORAL GABLES, Fla. – The 52nd-ranked Virginia Tech men’s tennis team shutout No. 55 Miami, 7-0 on Friday afternoon in ACC action at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center in Coral Gables, Fla.
Virginia Tech (13-8. 5-4 ACC) got out to the early advantage against the Hurricanes (13-11, 2-7 ACC), winning the doubles point to take a 1-0 lead. In the No. 1, Andreas Bjerrehus paired up with Hunter Koontz to defeat Wilfredo Gonzalez and Henrique Tsukamoto, 8-1.
The Hokies took a 2-0 lead with senior Lucas Oliveira defeating Victor Mauz, 6-2, 6-0 in the No. 5. Tech’s 98th-ranked Bjerrehus defeated Diego Soto in the No. 2 with straight set scores of 6-2, 6-2 to give Virginia Tech a 3-0 lead in the match.
Tech secured the team victory as 52nd-ranked Contini picked up the win in the No. 1, defeating Gabriel Flores, 6-4, 6-2.
The Hokies continued to roll with Aaron Gomez defeating Tsukamoto, 7-6, 6-4 on court six. Monteiro gave the Hokies a 6-0 lead in the match with a win in the No. 4 where he downed Albanese, 6-4, 6-4.
Virginia Tech’s final score came in the No. 3 where Koontz claimed a 6-3, 6-4 decision against Gonzalez.
The Hokies will remain in Florida to face No. 30 Florida State on Sunday, April 21 at noon.
1. #52 Amerigo Contini (VT) def. Gabriel Flores (UM) 6-4, 6-2
2. #98 Andreas Bjerrehus (VT) def. Diego Soto (UM) 6-2, 6-2
3. Hunter Koontz (VT) def. Wilfredo Gonzalez (UM) 6-3, 6-4
4. Joao Monteiro (VT) def. William Albanese (UM) 6-4, 6-4
5. Lucas Oliveira (VT) def. Victor Mauz (UM) 6-2, 6-0
6. Aaron Gomez (VT) def. Henrique Tsukamoto (UM) 7-6, 6-4
Order of finish: 5,2,1,6,4,3
1. Bjerrehus/Koontz (VT) def. Gonzalez/Tsukamoto (UM) 8-1
2. Flores/Soto (UM) def. Trpimir Kujundzic/Oliveira (VT) 8-5
3. Contini/Monteiro (VT) def. Albanese/Jack Murphy (UM) 8-4
Order of finish: 1,2,3
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_MTennis).