CARY, N.C. – The 42nd-ranked Virginia Tech men’s tennis team went toe-to-toe with No. 24 Wake Forest, but the Deacs held for a 4-2 win on Friday afternoon in the quarterfinals of the 2013 ACC Men’s Tennis Championships at Cary Tennis Park in Cary, N.C.
Tech (15-9) came out strong and claimed the doubles point against Wake Forest (19-7) to take the early 1-0 lead in the match.
The Demon Deacons got on the board in singles with a win on court six with Delcore defeating Aaron Gomez, 6-3, 6-1. Wake Forest moved in to the lead on the next completed singles match as Ho took the 6-2, 6-3 win against Tech’s Oliveira in the No. 5.
Wake Forest picked up its third point in the No. 3 where Tech’s Koontz battled 78th-ranked Prabhakar to three sets. Prabhakar won the first set 6-2, but Koontz came back to take the second set, 6-4. The Wake Forest player answered in the final set, 6-3.
Tech closed the difference to 3-2 with 102nd-ranked Bjerrehus’ win in the No. 2. After winning the first set 7-6, Bjerrehus faltered in the second set against Daniel Kreyman, 7-5. Bjerrehus rallied to take the final set, 6-3.
The deciding match came down to the No. 4 with the Hokies’ Monteiro squaring off against Wake’s 105th-ranked Adam Lee. After falling in the first set, 6-2, Monteiro came back in the second for a 6-3 win. The two battled back and forth in the final set, but Lee held on, 7-6(5), to secure the match and team win.
Virginia Tech awaits the NCAA Selection Show. Team pairings will be announced Tuesday, April 30 at 5 p.m. Singles and doubles selections will also be announced next week.
1. #57 Amerigo Contini (VT) vs. David Hopkins (WF) VT led 6-4, 4-6, 6-5 dnf
2. #102 Andreas Bjerrehus (VT) def. Daniel Kreyman (WF) 7-6, 5-7, 6-3
3. #78 Amogh Prabhakar (WF) def. Hunter Koontz (VT) 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
4. #105 Adam Lee (WF) def. Joao Monteiro (VT) 6-2, 3-6, 7-6(5)
5. Jon Ho (WF) def. Lucas Oliveira (VT) 6-2, 6-3
6. Anthony Delcore (WF) def. Aaron Gomez (VT) 6-3, 6-1
Order of finish: 6,5,3,2,4
1. Bjerrehus/Koontz (VT) def. #48 Hopkins/Prabhakar (WF) 8-3
2. Contini/Trpimir Kujundzic (VT) vs. Kreyman/Lee (WF) VT led 7-6 dnf
3. Monteiro/Oliveira (VT) def. Delcore/Ho (WF) 8-6
Order of finish: 1,3
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_MTennis).