BLACKSBURG, Va. – The Virginia Tech men’s tennis team defeated Davidson 6-1 in the second match of their season-opening doubleheader at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center on Sunday afternoon.
In No. 2 doubles, Jai Corbett and Florian Nicoud topped Davidson’s Robert Lightbourn and Evan Watkins, 6-1. The 23rd-ranked duo of Andreas Bjerrehus and Amerigo Contini then clinched the doubles point for Tech with a 6-4 win over Ethan Kallick and Zack Zapatero in No. 1 doubles.
Hunter Koontz and Nic Wilson pulled out a 6-4 win over Connor Evins and Ricky Saad in the No. 3 doubles match.
Corbett gave the Hokies their first singles win of the match, as he claimed a 6-0, 6-1 victory over Alex Howard in No. 5 singles. Contini then pushed the Tech lead to 3-0 with a 6-2, 6-3 win in No. 1 singles against Lightbourn.
For the second time on Sunday, Koontz clinched the match for the Hokies with a win in No. 3 singles. The junior defeated Davidson’s Kallick 6-1, 6-2. Aaron Gomez extended Tech’s lead to 5-0 in No. 4 singles, as he defeated Evan Watkins 6-2, 6-3. No. 60-ranked Bjerrehus topped Evins in No. 2 doubles after winning a second set tiebreaker. The score of the match was 6-0. 6-5 (7-4).
Virginia Tech will be back on the court January 25-26 at the ITA Kick-Off Weekend in Tulsa, Ok.
1. #26 Amerigo Contini (VT) def. Robert Lightbourn (DAV) 6-2, 6-3
2. #60 Andreas Bjerrehus (VT) def. Connor Evins (DAV) 6-0, 6-5 (7-4)
3. Hunter Koontz (VT) def. Ethan Kallick (DAV) 6-1, 6-2
4. #122 Aaron Gomez (VT) def. Evan Watkins (DAV) 6-2, 6-3
5. Jai Corbett (VT) def. Alex Howard (DAV) 6-0, 6-1
6. Jordan Hart (DAV) def. Rafael Ribas (VT) 6-4, 6-5 (7-3)
Order of Finish: 5,1,3*,4,2,6
1. #23 Andreas Bjerrehus/Amerigo Contini (VT) def. Ethan Kallick/Zack Zapatero (DAV) 6-4
2. Jai Corbett/Florian Nicoud (VT) def. Robert Lightbourn/Evan Watkins (DAV) 6-1
3. Hunter Koontz/Nic Wilson (VT) def. Connor Evins/Ricky Saad (DAV) 6-4
Order of Finish: 2,1*,3
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter Follow @VT_MTennis