NORMAN, Okla. – The 37th-ranked Virginia Tech men’s tennis team fell to the ninth ranked Oklahoma Sooners 4-1 in the opening round of the ITA Kick-Off Weekend at the Gregg Wadley Indoor Tennis Pavilion.
Oklahoma earned the doubles point with wins in No. 2 and No. 3 doubles. Nick Papac and Peerakit Siributwong earned the first win for the Sooners with a 6-4 win over Virginia Tech’s Jai Corbett and Florian Nicoud in No. 3 doubles. Axel Alvarez Llamas and Guillermo Alcorta clinched the point for Oklahoma with a 6-5 victory over Hunter Koontz and Joao Monteiro in No. 2 doubles.
In No. 1 doubles, Tech’s 23rd-ranked duo of Andreas Bjerrehus and Amerigo Contini were tied 5-5 with Oklahoma’s 18th-ranked ranked pair of Andrew Harris and Dane Webb before their match was ended early due to the point already being decided.
Webb, ranked 40th for the Sooners, notched the first singles point, defeating Tech’s Monteiro 6-2, 6-2 in the No. 4 singles. Harris, ranked 37th, then put Oklahoma up 3-0 with a victory over Koontz 6-3, 6-2 in the No. 3 singles.
The Hokies earned the lone point in No. 6 singles as Nicoud topped Papac 6-1, 6-2.
The Sooners clinched the match 4-1 when fifth ranked Alcorta defeated Tech’s 26th-ranked Contini 6-1, 6-4.
In the two unfinished singles matches, Oklahoma’s sixth ranked Alvarez was leading 60th-ranked Bjerrehus 6-2, 4-4 and Tech newcomer Corbett trailed Oklahoma’s Austin Siegel 6-5.
In the other opening round match at the Norman event, No. 31 Northwestern topped No. 24 Tulsa 4-2.
The Hokies will be back on the court tomorrow at 11 a.m. as they take on Tulsa in the consolation match. Oklahoma and Northwestern will play afterwards in the championship at 3 p.m.
1. #5 Guillermo Alcorta (OU) def. #26 Amerigo Contini (VT) 6-1, 6-4
2. #60 Andreas Bjerrehus (VT) vs. #6 Axel Alvarez Llamas (OU) 2-6, 4-4 dnf
3. #37 Andrew Harris (OU) def. Hunter Koontz (VT) 6-3, 6-2
4. #40 Dane Webb (OU) def. Joao Monteiro (VT) 6-2, 6-2
5. Jai Corbett (VT) vs. Austin Siegel (OU) 5-6 dnf
6. Florian Nicoud (VT) def. Nick Papac (OU) 6-1, 6-2.
Order of Finish: 4,3,6,1*
1. #23 Andreas Bjerrehus/Amerigo Contini (VT) vs #18 Andrew Harris/Dane Webb (OU) 5-5 dnf
2. Axel Alvarez Llamas/Guillermo Alcorta (OU) def. Hunter Koontz/Joao Monteiro (VT) 6-5
3. Nick Papac/Peerakit Siributwong (OU) def. Jai Corbett/Florian Nicoud (VT) 6-4
Order of Finish: 3,2*
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter Follow @VT_MTennis