UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. – The 33rd-ranked Virginia Tech men’s tennis team were defeated by the Penn State Nittany Lions at the Indoor Tennis Center in University Park, Pa.
The Hokies (3-2) grabbed the doubles point with victories in the No. 1 and No. 2 doubles matches. The Nittany Lions tallied the first win of the day with a win in No. 3 doubles as David Kohan and Christian Lutschaunig toppled Tech’s Jai Corbett and Florian Nicoud 6-4. Tech followed with a win in No. 2 doubles as Hunter Koontz and Joao Monteiro edged Michael Reilly and Roman Trkulja 6-4.
In No. 1 doubles, the 23rd-ranked duo of Andreas Bjerrehus and Amerigo Contini clinched the doubles point for the Hokies with a 6-5 win over Penn State’s Russell Bader and Leonard Stakhovsky 6-5 (7-4).
The Nittany Lions (3-0) tied the score at 1-1 as Stakhovsky topped 26th-ranked Contini 6-5 (7-4), 6-0 in No. 1 singles.
Koontz put the Hokies back on top, defeating Penn State’s Alex Fennell 6-1, 3-6, 6-3 in No. 3 singles. Monteiro quickly followed suit with a three set victory over Trkulja in No. 3 singles to put Tech up 3-1. Monteiro won the opening set 6-4, but Trkulja claimed the second set 6-5 (7-5). Monteiro sealed the point for the Hokies with a 6-4 win in the final set.
Penn State’s Bader pulled the Nittany Lions back within one after notching a win in No. 2 singles. Bader topped 60th-ranked Bjerrehus in three sets 6-4, 5-6 (5-7), 6-4. Matt Collado Castells evened the match at 3-3 with a 6-4, 6-1 win over Corbett in No. 6 singles.
The match was decided in No. 5 singles where Penn State’s Matt Barry came from behind to defeat Virginia Tech’s Florian Nicoud 4-6, 6-3, 6-3, giving the Nittany Lions the 4-3 victory.
Virginia Tech returns home next weekend as they take on Coastal Carolina on Sunday, February 9 at noon at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center in Blacksburg, Va.
1. Leonard Stakhovsky (PSU) def. #26 Amerigo Contini (VT) 6-5 (7-4), 6-0
2. Russell Bader (PSU) def. #60 Andreas Bjerrehus (VT) 6-4, 5-6 (5-7), 6-4
3. Hunter Koontz (VT) def. Alex Fennell (PSU) 6-1, 3-6, 6-3
4. Joao Monteiro (VT) def. Roman Trkulja (PSU) 6-4, 5-6 (5-7), 6-4
5. Matt Barry (PSU) def. Florian Nicoud (VT) 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
6. Marc Collado Castells (PSU) def. Jai Corbett (VT) 6-4, 6-1
Order of Finish: 1,3,4,2,6,5*
1. #23 Andreas Bjerrehus/Amerigo Contini (VT) def. Russell Bader/Leonard Stakhovsky (PSU) 6-5 (7-4)
2. Hunter Koontz/Joao Monteiro (VT) def. Michael Reilly/Roman Trkulja (PSU) 6-4
3. David Kohan/Christian Lutschaunig (PSU) def. Jai Corbett/Florian Nicoud (VT) 6-4
Order of Finish: 3,2,1*
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter Follow @VT_MTennis