DEDHAM, Mass. – The 41st-ranked Virginia Tech men’s tennis team opened up conference play with a 7-0 sweep of Boston College on Saturday at the Dedham Health & Athletic Complex in Dedham Mass.
The Hokies (5-2, 1-0 ACC) earned the doubles point after winning all three doubles matches. In the No. 2 doubles, Amerigo Contini and Florian Nicoud teamed up for the second time this season to defeat Boston College’s (2-5, 0-2 ACC) Kyle Childree and Matt Wagner 8-2. Tech clinched the point in No. 3 doubles as Joao Monteiro and Jai Corbett topped Jonathan Raude and Alexandre Thirouin 8-5.
Virginia Tech went on to win every singles match in straight sets. Tech’s 38th-ranked Contini gave the Hokies the first singles point, defeating Nelson 6-1, 6-0 in No. 1. Koontz pushed the Tech lead to 3-0 with a victory over BC’s McNulty 6-1, 6-2 in the No. 3 match.
Tech’s Aaron Gomez sealed the win in No. 4 singles, topping BC’s Workman 6-2, 6-4.
In the remaining singles matches, the Hokies’ 94th-ranked Bjerrehus improved to 4-3 on the year with a 6-2, 6-3 win over Raude in No. 2 singles. In No. 5 singles, Nicoud defeated Childree 6-4 6-3, extending Tech’s lead to 6-0. Jai Corbett completed the sweep for Virginia Tech with a 6-2, 6-2 victory over the Eagles’ Wagner in No. 6 singles.
Virginia Tech moves to 1-0 in ACC play with the win, while Boston College falls to 0-2 in the conference with their other loss coming to the No. 1-ranked Virginia Cavaliers.
The Hokies return to the court with a non-conference match at Louisville on Friday, Feb. 21 at 5 p.m. before hosting a midweek doubleheader against James Madison and St. Bonaventure on Tuesday, Feb. .
1. #38 Amerigo Contini (VT) def. Philip Nelson (BC) 6-1, 6-0
2. #94 Andreas Bjerrehus (VT) def. Jonathan Raude (BC) 6-2, 6-3
3. Hunter Koontz (VT) def. Aiden McNulty (BC) 6-1, 6-2
4. Aaron Gomez (VT) def. Hank Workman (BC) 6-2, 6-4
5. Florian Nicoud (VT) def. Kyle Childree (BC) 6-4, 6-3
6. Jai Corbett (VT) def. Matt Wagner (BC) 6-2, 6-2
Order of Finish: 1,3,4*,2,5,6
1. Andreas Bjerrehus/Hunter Koontz (VT) def. Aiden McNulty/Philip Nelson (BC) 8-6
2. Amerigo Contini/Florian Nicoud (VT) def. Kyle Childree/Matt Wagner (BC) 8-2
3. Jai Corbett/Joao Monteiro (VT) def. Jonathan Raude/Alexandre Thirouin (BC) 8-5
Order of Finish: 2,3*,1
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter Follow @VT_MTennis