BLACKSBURG, Va. – The Virginia Tech men’s tennis team, ranked 44th in the nation, defeated James Madison 7-0 in the first match of the Hokies’ home doubleheader on Tuesday, Feb. 25 at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center in Blacksburg, Va.
Virginia Tech (6-3, 1-0 ACC) jumped out to an early lead by grabbing the doubles point after winning all three matches. The Hokies earned their first win of the day in No. 2 doubles, where Amerigo Contini and Florian Nicoud defeated James Madison’s (3-4) Brett Moorhead and Sebastian Salinas 8-4. Tech’s Andreas Bjerrehus and Hunter Koontz clinched the doubles point, topping Miljan Ruzic and Rob Stirling 8-2 in No. 1 doubles.
The Hokies’ Monteiro notched the first singles win for Tech with a 6-0, 6-2 victory over Ruzic in No. 3 singles. Contini, ranked 34th in the nation, extended the lead to 3-0, defeating Salinas 6-1, 6-1 in No. 1 singles.
Tech’s Aaron Gomez clinched the match in No. 5 singles, topping James Madison’s Maxi Branth 6-0, 6-4.
Virginia Tech extended its lead to 5-0 as 116th-ranked Bjerrehus defeated Stirling 6-3, 6-3 in No. 2 singles. The Hokies’ Corbett followed that up with a victory in No. 6 singles, beating JMU’s Kathol 6-4, 6-3. Tech completed the sweep in No. 4 singles, where Nicoud defeated Moorhead in straight sets 6-3, 6-3.
In the second match of the doubleheader, the Hokies will take on St. Bonaventure (2-10).
After today, Virginia Tech will return to the court on Friday, Feb. 28 at 6 p.m. for an ACC match at Notre Dame.
1. #34 Amerigo Contini (VT) def. Sebastian Salinas (JMU) 6-1, 6-1
2. #116 Andreas Bjerrehus (VT) def. Rob Stirling (JMU) 6-3, 6-3
3. Joao Monteiro (VT) def. Miljan Ruzic (JMU) 6-0, 6-2
4. Florian Nicoud (VT) def. Brett Moorhead (JMU) 6-3, 6-3
5. Aaron Gomez (VT) def. Maxi Branth (JMU) 6-0, 6-4
6. Jai Corbett (VT) def. Niels Kathol (JMU) 6-4, 6-3
Order of Finish: 3,1,5*,2,6,4
1. Andreas Bjerrehus/Hunter Koontz (VT) def. Miljan Ruzic/Rob Stirling (JMU) 8-2
2. Amerigo Contini/Florian Nicoud (VT) def. Brett Moorhead/Sebastian Salinas (JMU) 8-4
3. Jai Corbett/Joao Monteiro (VT) def. Niels Kathol/Mason Smith (JMU) 8-3
Order of Finish: 2,1*,3
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter Follow @VT_MTennis