|(44) Virginia Tech||7|
BLACKSBURG, Va. - The Virginia Tech men's tennis team defeated the St. Bonaventure Bonnies 7-0 to sweep a home doubleheader on Tuesday, Feb. 25 at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center in Blacksburg, Va.
Virginia Tech (7-3, 1-0 ACC), ranked 44th nationally in the latest ITA rankings, earned the doubles point with wins in the No. 2 and No. 3 matches. Jai Corbett and Joao Monteiro earned the first doubles win, defeating Eduardo Irizarry and Javier Ortiz 8-1 in No. 2 doubles. Florian Nicoud and Nic Wilson notched the doubles point for Tech after topping the Bonnies' Timothy DeSanto and Trevor Haskell 8-4 in the No. 3 match.
Tech received its first singles point in No. 4 singles, as Nicoud topped St. Bonaventure's (2-11) Ortiz in straight sets 6-0, 6-1. In No. 6 singles, Corbett pushed the Hokie lead to 3-0 with a 6-0, 6-0 victory over Haskell.
Virginia Tech sophomore Aaron Gomez clinched the match for the Hokies, defeating Celso de Vera Rehberger 6-1, 6-1 in No. 5 singles. Tech’s Bjerrehus, ranked 116th in singles, earned a 6-1, 6-3 victory in No. 1 singles to extend Virginia Tech's lead to 5-0. In No. 2 singles, Hokie junior Koontz overcame a 5-3 deficit in the second set to defeat the Bonnies' Fanshel in straight sets 6-0, 7-5.
The match concluded in No. 3 singles, where the Hokies' Monteiro topped Nureev 6-1, 6-2.
In the first match of the doubleheader, the Hokies defeated James Madison 7-0.
Virginia Tech will return to the court for their second conference match of season at Notre Dame on Friday, Feb. 28 at 6 p.m.
1. #116 Andreas Bjerrehus (VT) def. Eduardo Irizarry (STBON) 6-1, 6-3
2. Hunter Koontz (VT) def. Elliot Fanshel (STBON) 6-0, 7-5
3. Joao Monteiro (VT) def. Ramazan Nureev (STBON) 6-1, 6-2
4. Florian Nicoud (VT) def. Javier Ortiz (STBON) 6-0, 6-1
5. Aaron Gomez (VT) def. Celso de Vera Rehberger (STBON) 6-1, 6-1
6. Jai Corbett (VT) def. Trevor Haskell (STBON) 6-0, 6-0
Order of Finish: 4,6,5*,1,2,3
1. Andreas Bjerrehus/Hunter Koontz (VT) def. Elliot Fanshel/Ramazan Nureev (STBON) 8-4
2. Jai Corbett/Joao Monteiro (VT) def. Eduardo Irizarry/Javier Ortiz (STBON) 8-1
3. Florian Nicoud/Nic Wilson (VT) def. Timothy DeSanto/Trevor Haskell (STBON) 8-4
Order of Finish: 2,3*,1
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter Follow @VT_MTennis