SOUTH BEND, Ind. – The Virginia Tech men’s tennis team, ranked 44th in the country, lost a close 4-3 match to 6th-ranked Notre Dame on Friday, Feb. 28 at the Eck Tennis Pavilion in South Bend, Ind.
Notre Dame (11-3, 1-1 ACC) jumped out to an early 1-0 lead by grabbing the doubles point with wins in the No. 1 and No. 2 doubles matches. In No. 2 doubles, Notre Dame’s Josh Hagar and Billy Pecor topped Tech’s Amerigo Contini and Florian Nicoud 8-1. The duo of Greg Andrews and Alex Lawson, ranked 11th in the country, sealed the point for the Irish with an 8-6 win over Andreas Bjerrehus and Hunter Koontz in No. 1 doubles.
The Fighting Irish earned the first singles point in No. 2 singles where Quentin Monaghan defeated Tech’s 116th-ranked Bjerrehus 6-4, 6-2. In No. 5 singles, Eddy Covalschi pushed Notre Dame’s lead to 3-0, topping Aaron Gomez 7-6, 6-0.
Virginia Tech (7-4, 1-1 ACC) received their first point from Contini in No. 1 singles. The Hokie sophomore, ranked 34th in the country, notched an impressive straight-set win over 28th-ranked Andrews 7-5, 6-3. Tech’s Nicoud followed that up with a 6-3, 6-4 victory over Schnurrenberger in No. 6 singles, reducing the Irish’s lead to one.
Tech’s Monteiro then evened the score at 3-3, earning a come from behind win over Notre Dame’s Bandy in No. 4 singles. Bandy grabbed the first set 6-4 before Monteiro won the second set 6-1. The Hokie sophomore won the third set 6-4 to seal the point for Tech.
The Irish’s Hagar, ranked 124th, edged the Hokies’ Koontz in three sets in No. 3 singles to clinch the match for Notre Dame. Koontz used a tiebreaker to win the first 7-6, but Hagar stormed back to win the second set 6-0. Hagar won the third set 6-1, ending Virginia Tech’s upset bid and giving Notre Dame a 4-3 win.
The Hokies have a brief break before returning to the court for a non-conference match against the Washington Huskies in Seattle, Wa. on Wednesday, Mar. 12.
1. #34 Amerigo Contini (VT) def. #28 Greg Andrews (ND) 7-5, 6-3
2. Quentin Monaghan (ND) def. #116 Andreas Bjerrehus (VT) 6-4, 6-2
3. #124 Josh Hagar (ND) def. Hunter Koontz (VT) 6-7, 6-0, 6-1
4. Joao Monteiro (VT) def. Ryan Bandy (ND) 4-6, 6-1, 6-4
5. Eddy Covalschi (ND) def. Aaron Gomez (VT) 7-6, 6-0
6. Florian Nicoud (VT) def. Eric Schnurrenberger (ND) 6-3, 6-4
Order of Finish: 2,5,6,1,4,3*
1. #11 Greg Andrews/Alex Lawson (ND) def. Andreas Bjerrehus/Hunter Koontz (VT) 8-6
2. Josh Hagar/Billy Pecor (ND) def. Amerigo Contini/Florian Nicoud (VT) 8-1
3. Jai Corbett/Joao Monteiro (VT) led Ryan Bandy/Eric Schnurrenberger (ND) 7-6
Order of Finish: 2,1*
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter Follow @VT_MTennis