SEATTLE – The 46th-ranked Virginia Tech men’s tennis team earned its third victory over a ranked opponent this year with a 5-2 win over No. 72 Washington at the Nordstrom Tennis Center in Seattle, Wash.
Virginia Tech (8-4, 1-1 ACC) jumped out to an early lead, grabbing the doubles point with wins in the No. 1 and No. 3 doubles matches. The tandem of Andreas Bjerrehus and Hunter Koontz gave the Hokies their first victory of the match, defeating Washington’s Viktor Farkas and Max Manthou 8-4 in No. 1 doubles.
The Hokies’ Monteiro earned the first singles point of the match with a win over Hawke 6-4, 6-2 in No. 4 singles. Contini, ranked 24th in the country in singles, extended Tech’s lead to 3-0 in No. 1 singles, where he defeated the Huskies’ Gal Hakak in straight sets 7-5, 6-0.
Virginia Tech clinched the match in No. 4 singles as Aaron Gomez earned a 6-2, 7-5 victory over Chamerski.
Washington’s (7-7, 0-2 PAC-12) Farkas put the Huskies on the board, defeating the Hokies’ Nicoud in three sets in No. 5 singles. Nicoud grabbed the first set 6-3, but Farkas took the second set 6-3 before clinching the point with a 6-2 win in the third set.
Tech’s Bjerrehus improved to 16-6 on the season with a 7-6 (4), 7-6 (4) victory over Egger in No. 3 singles. In the final match of the night, Washington’s Manthou needed three sets to top Koontz 0-6, 6-4, 6-2 in No. 2 singles.
The Hokies return to the court Saturday, March 15 at 7 p.m. for a showdown against the 19th-ranked Boise State Broncos at the Appleton Outdoor Tennis Center in Boise, Idaho.
1. #24 Amerigo Contini (VT) def. Gal Hakak (WAS) 7-5, 6-0
2. Max Manthou (WAS) def. Hunter Koontz (VT) 0-6, 6-4, 6-2
3. Andreas Bjerrehus (VT) def. Emmett Egger (WAS) 7-6 (4), 7-6 (4)
4. Joao Monteiro (VT) def. Jeff Hawke (WAS) 6-4, 6-2
5. Viktor Farkas (WAS) def. Florian Nicoud (VT) 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
6. Aaron Gomez (VT) def. Michael Chamerski (WAS) 6-2, 7-5
Order of Finish: 4,1,6*,5,3,2
1. Andreas Bjerrehus/Hunter Koontz (VT) def. Viktor Farkas/Max Manthou (WAS) 8-4
2. Michael Chamerski/Emmett Egger (WAS) def. Amerigo Contini/Florian Nicoud (VT) 8-5
3. Jai Corbett/Joao Monteiro (VT) def. Jeff Hawke/Wendell Watanabe (WAS) 8-4
Order of Finish: 1,3*,2
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter Follow @VT_MTennis