|(6) North Carolina||6|
|(49) Virginia Tech||1|
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. – The 49th-ranked Virginia Tech men’s tennis team fell on Sunday to sixth-ranked North Carolina 6-1 at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center in Chapel Hill, N.C.
North Carolina (16-3, 3-1 ACC) jumped out to an early lead, earning the doubles point by winning all three matches. Brett Clark and Brayden Schnur gave the Tar Heels their first win of the match in No. 1 doubles, defeating Tech’s Andreas Bjerrehus and Hunter Koontz 8-6. UNC’s Oystein Steiro and Nelson Vick clinched the doubles point and put the Tar Heels up 1-0 with an 8-5 win over Amerigo Contini and Joao Monteiro in No. 2 doubles.
In singles, the Tar Heels increased their lead to 2-0 behind a victory from Murray, who defeated the Hokies’ Aaron Gomez 6-0, 6-1 in No. 6 singles.
Virginia Tech (8-7, 1-3 ACC) received its only point of the day from Monteiro, who defeated Esben Hess-Olesen 6-2, 6-1 in No. 4 singles. The win was the sophomore’s sixth win in his last seven matches.
The Tar Heels’ Schneider, ranked 32nd in the nation, extended the UNC lead to 3-1, topping the Hokies’ Bjerrehus 7-5, 6-3 in No. 2 singles. UNC’s Steiro then clinched the match with a 6-1, 7-6 (7-2) win over Nicoud in No. 5 singles.
In the No. 3 match, North Carolina’s 51st-ranked Clark defeated Tech’s Koontz 7-6 (7-2), 6-2, putting the Tar Heels up 5-1.
18th-ranked Schnur came from behind to defeat 24th-ranked Contini in No. 1 singles in the contest’s lone three-set match, ending the sophomore’s eight-match win streak. Contini grabbed the first set 6-3, before Schnur took the second 6-3 and then won the third 6-4.
After five consecutive road matches, the Hokies will return to Blacksburg next weekend for a pair of conference showdowns. On Friday, March 28, Tech will take on the Florida State Seminoles at 2 p.m. The Hokies will then face off against Miami on Sunday, March 23 at noon.
1. #18 Brayden Schnur (UNC) def. #24 Amerigo Contini (VT) 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
2. #32 Ronnie Schneider (UNC) def. Andreas Bjerrehus (VT) 7-5, 6-3
3. #51 Brett Clark (UNC) def. Hunter Koontz (VT) 7-6 (7-2), 6-2
4. Joao Monteiro (VT) def. Esben Hess-Olesen (UNC) 6-2, 6-1
5. Oystein Steiro (UNC) def. Florian Nicoud (VT) 6-1, 7-6 (7-2)
6. Jack Murray (UNC) def. Aaron Gomez (VT) 6-0, 6-1
Order of Finish: 6,4,2,5*,3,1
1. Brett Clark/Brayden Schnur (UNC) def. Andreas Bjerrehus/Hunter Koontz (VT) 8-6
2. Oystein Steiro/Nelson Vick (UNC) def. Amerigo Contini/Joao Monteiro (VT) 8-5
3. #67 Jack Murray/Ronnie Schneider (UNC) def. Jai Corbett/Florian Nicoud (VT) 8-5
Order of Finish: 1,2*,3
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter Follow @VT_MTennis