BLACKSBURG, Va. – The 54th-ranked Virginia Tech men’s tennis team upset the 24th-ranked Florida State Seminoles 5-2 on Friday at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center in Blacksburg, Va.
The match, which was delayed 20 minutes after the courts needed to be dried due to an early morning drizzle, marked the first time the Hokies have played outdoors at home this season
Florida State (15-6, 3-2 ACC) grabbed the doubles point to jump out to an early 1-0 lead. In the No. 2 doubles match, Florida State’s Cristian Gonzalez Mendez and Marco Nunez defeated Amerigo Contini and Joao Monteiro 8-2. Tech’s Andreas Bjerrehus and Hunter Koontz gave the Hokies their first win of the day with an 8-5 victory over Dominic Cotrone and Blake Davis in the No. 1 match.
Virginia Tech (9-7, 2-3 ACC) evened the match at 1-1, as Monteiro topped the Seminoles’ Davis 6-1, 6-3 in No. 3 singles. Tech junior Koontz then put the Hokies up 2-1 with a 7-5, 6-1 victory over Nunez in No. 4 singles. The Hokies’ 120th-ranked Bjerrehus earned a 6-4, 7-6 (8-6) win over 65th-ranked Gonzalez Mendez in No. 2 singles to extend the Hokie lead to 3-1.
Virginia Tech’s 19th-ranked Contini clinched the match with a three set victory over 101st-ranked Cotrone. Contini grabbed the first set 6-3, before Cotrone won the second 6-3. Contini clinched with a 6-2 win in the third set.
The Seminoles earned their lone singles point in the No. 5 match, where Rinaldi defeated Nicoud 6-4, 6-4.
In the final match of the day, Tech’s Corbett needed three sets to top Florida State’s Goldin in No. 6 singles. Corbett won the opening set 6-3. Goldin won the second 7-6, winning the tiebreaker 7-4, but Corbett used a late break to win the third set 6-4.
The Hokies will return to the court on Sunday, March 30 for a match at noon against the 39th-ranked Miami Hurricanes at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center in Blacksburg, Va.
1. #19 Amerigo Contini (VT) def. #101 Dominic Cotrone (FSU) 6-3, 3-6, 6-2
2. #120 Andreas Bjerrehus (VT) def. #65 Cristian Gonzalez Mendez (FSU) 6-4, 7-6 (8-6)
3. Joao Monteiro (VT) def. Blake Davis (FSU) 6-1, 6-3
4. Hunter Koontz (VT) def. Marco Nunez (FSU) 7-5, 6-1
5. Michael Rinaldi (FSU) def. Florian Nicoud (VT) 6-4, 6-4
6. Jai Corbett (VT) def. Grayson Goldin (FSU) 6-3, 6-7 (4-7), 6-4
Order of Finish: 3,4,2,1*,5,6
1. Andreas Bjerrehus/Hunter Koontz (VT) def. #41 Dominic Cotrone/Blake Davis (FSU) 8-5
2. Cristian Gonzalez Mendez/Marco Nunez (FSU) def. Amerigo Contini/Joao Monteiro (VT) 8-2
3. Grayson Goldin/Michael Rinaldi (FSU) def. Jai Corbett/Florian Nicoud (VT) 8-5
Order of Finish: 2,1,3*
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter Follow @VT_MTennis