BLACKSBURG, Va. - The 54th-ranked Virginia Tech men's tennis team defeated the 39th-ranked Miami Hurricanes 6-1 on Sunday at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center in Blacksburg, Va., giving the Hokies their second win over a ranked conference opponent this weekend.
Virginia Tech (10-7, 3-3 ACC) won the doubles point to jump out to an early 1-0 lead. In the No. 1 doubles match, the 64th-ranked duo of Andreas Bjerrehus and Amerigo Contini, who played together for the first time since Feb. 2, defeated Gabriel Flores and Diego Soto 8-3. Tech's Hunter Koontz and Joao Monteiro clinched the doubles point with an 8-4 victory over Miami's Wilfredo Gonzalez and Henrique Tsukamoto in No. 2 doubles.
Tech junior Koontz increased the Hokie lead to 2-0 with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Tsukamoto in the No. 4 singles match. The Hokies' Bjerrehus, ranked 120th in the nation, topped the Canes' Soto 6-4, 6-1 in No. 2 singles to put Virginia Tech up 3-0.
Tech's Monteiro clinched the match, defeating Miami's Gonzalez 6-3, 6-3 in No. 3 singles. In the No. 5 match, Virginia Tech's Nicoud defeated Miami's Tefel 6-3, 6-1, extending the Tech lead to 5-0.
The remaining two singles matches played a ten-point tiebreaker in place of a third set, as the match was already clinched.
Miami (13-6, 1-3 ACC) earned its lone point of the match in No. 6 singles, where Shebsheyevich came from behind to defeat Tech’s Corbett 2-6, 6-4, 10-7. The Hokies’ Contini then came from behind in the No. 1 singles match, edging the Canes’ Flores 5-7, 6-2, 10-8.
1. #19 Amerigo Contini (VT) def. Gabriel Flores (UM) 5-7, 6-2, 10-8
2. #120 Andreas Bjerrehus (VT) def. Diego Soto (UM) 6-4, 6-1
3. Joao Monteiro (VT) def. Wilfredo Gonzalez (UM) 6-3, 6-3
4. Hunter Koontz (VT) def. Henrique Tsukamoto (UM) 6-2, 6-2
5. Florian Nicoud (VT) def. Bernard Tefel (UM) 6-3, 6-1
6. Daniel Shebsheyevich (UM) def. Jai Corbett (VT) 2-6, 6-4, 10-7
Order of Finish: 4,2,3*,5,6,1
1. #64 Andreas Bjerrehus/Amerigo Contini (VT) def. Gabriel Flores/Diego Soto (UM) 8-3
2. Hunter Koontz/Joao Monteiro (VT) def. Wilfredo Gonzalez/Henrique Tsukamoto (UM) 8-4
3. Daniel Shebshayevich/Bernard Tefel (UM) def. Jai Corbett/Florian Nicoud (VT) 8-7 (7-4)
Order of Finish: 1,2*,3
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter Follow @VT_MTennis