BLACKSBURG, Va. – After dropping the doubles point, the 42nd-ranked Virginia Tech men’s tennis team came back strong in singles, winning five of the six matches to secure a 5-2 win over 48th-ranked VCU on Wednesday afternoon at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center in Blacksburg, Va.
VCU (13-12) claimed wins in the other two matches, securing the point and giving the Rams an early 1-0 lead in the match. VCU’s 55th-ranked Alexis Heugas and Nick Jones defeated Tech’s 37th-ranked Andreas Bjerrehus and Amerigo Contini, 8-5. Wilder Pimentel and Michal Voscek clinched the point with an 8-6 win in the No. 2 over Tech’s Hunter Koontz and Joao Monteiro.
Tech put its first points on the board with a win in the No. 3 singles where Monteiro defeated Mateo, 6-2, 6-2. The Hokies took the 2-0 lead moments later as Koontz downed Voscek, 6-4, 6-3 in the No. 4 singles.
The Hokies’ 28th-ranked Contini extended the advantage, defeating VCU’s 64th-ranked Heugas, 7-5, 6-1. Virginia Tech clinched the match, securing the win in the No. 2 as 120th-ranked Bjerrehus downed Argente, 6-3, 6-3.
Virginia Tech's final point of the match came in the No. 6 where Corbett downed Jacob Svensson, 6-4, 6-4.
The Hokies will be back on the court on Friday, April 11, hosting Wake Forest in a 3 p.m. match at Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center.
1. #28 Amerigo Contini (VT) def. #64 Alexis Heugas (VCU) 7-5, 6-1
2. #120 Andreas Bjerrehus (VT) def. Alejandro Argente (VCU) 6-3, 6-3
3. Joao Monteiro (VT) def. Jean Baptiste Mateo (VCU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Hunter Koontz (VT) def. Michal Voscek (VCU) 6-4, 6-3
5. Wilder Pimentel (VCU) def. Florian Nicoud (VT) 6-2, 4-4 ret.
6. Jai Corbett (VT) def. Jacob Svensson (VCU) 6-4, 6-4
Order of finish: 3,4,1,2,5,6
1. #55 Heugas/Nick Jones (VCU) def. #37 Bjerrehus/Contini (VT) 8-5
2. Pimentel/Voscek (VCU) def. Koontz/Monteiro (VT) 8-6
3. Corbett/Nicoud (VT) def. Argente/Baptiste Mateo (VCU) 8-2
Order of finish: 3,1,2
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter Follow @VT_MTennis