BLACKSBURG, Va. – The 42nd-ranked Virginia Tech men’s tennis team upset the 23rd-ranked Wake Forest Demon Deacons, 4-3, in a thrilling match at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center in Blacksburg, Va. on Friday afternoon.
Wake Forest (14-9, 3-5 ACC) went ahead early by grabbing the doubles point with wins in the No. 2 and No. 3 doubles matches. In the No. 2 match, Wake’s Romain Bogaerts and Maksim Kan defeated Hunter Koontz and Joao Monteiro, 8-1. The Demon Deacons clinched the point in the No. 3 match, where Anthony Delcore and Adam Lee teamed up to earn a victory over the Hokies’ Jai Corbett and Nic Wilson, 8-2.
Virginia Tech’s (13-8, 5-4 ACC) 37th-ranked duo of Andreas Bjerrehus and Amerigo Contini earned an impressive 8-1 victory over Wake’s 41st-ranked pair of Pedro Dumont and Jon Ho in the No. 1 doubles match.
In singles action, the Deacs extended their lead to 2-0 in the No. 4 match, where Ho defeated Koontz, 6-4, 7-6 (7-3).
Tech’s Corbett put the Hokies on the board with a 7-6 (7-2), 7-6 (7-5) win over Wake’s Dumont in the No. 5 singles match. Wake Forest answered with a win in the No. 2 singles match. The Deacs’ 58th-ranked Lee topped the Hokies’ 116th-ranked Bjerrehus in two sets, 7-6 (8-6), 6-3.
The Hokies’ Monteiro brought Tech back within one, as he came from behind to defeat Wake Forest’s 93rd-ranked Kan in No. 3 singles. Kan grabbed the opening set, 6-4, but Monteiro went on to win both the second and third sets, 6-4.
Virginia Tech’s Aaron Gomez evened the match at 3-3 with a 7-5, 7-5 win over Wake’s Sam Bloom. Gomez trailed 2-5 in the second set, before reeling off five straight games to win the point.
The match was decided in the No. 1 singles where Tech’s 28th-ranked Contini earned a hard-fought, three-set victory over Wake’s 34th-ranked Bogaerts. Contini overcame a 1-4 deficit in the opening set to win, 6-4. Bogaerts then grabbed the second set, 7-5, before Contini used a late break to take the final set, 7-5. The win was Contini’s ninth over a ranked opponent this season.
The Hokies will be back on the court on Sunday at 1 p.m., as they take on the 32nd-ranked North Carolina State Wolfpack at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center.
1. #28 Amerigo Contini (VT) def. #34 Romain Bogaerts (WAKE) 6-4, 5-7, 7-5
2. #58 Adam Lee (WAKE) def. #116 Andreas Bjerrehus (VT) 7-6 (8-6), 6-3
3. Joao Monteiro (VT) def. #93 Maksim Kan (WAKE) 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
4. Jon Ho (WAKE) def. Hunter Koontz (VT) 6-4, 7-6 (7-3)
5. Jai Corbett (VT) def. Pedro Dumont (WAKE) 7-6 (7-2), 7-6 (7-5)
6. Aaron Gomez (VT) def. Sam Bloom (WAKE) 7-5, 7-5
Order of Finish: 4,5,2,3,6,1*
1. #37 Andreas Bjerrehus/Amerigo Contini (VT) def. #41 Pedro Dumont/Jon Ho (WAKE) 8-1
2. Romain Bogaerts/Maksim Kan (WAKE) def. Hunter Koontz/Joao Monteiro (VT) 8-1
3. Anthony Declore/Adam Lee (WAKE) def. Jai Corbett/Nic Wilson (VT) 8-2
Order of Finish: 1,2,3*
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter Follow @VT_MTennis