CARY, N.C. – The seventh-seeded Virginia Tech men’s tennis team notched a 4-2 win over 10th-seeded Wake Forest on Thursday afternoon to advance to the quarterfinals of the ACC Championships at the Cary Tennis Center in Cary, N.C.
Virginia Tech (14-10, 5-6 ACC), ranked 40th in the ITA, will face fourth-seeded Duke in the next round. The Hokies suffered a defeat to the Blue Devils during the regular season.
No. 31 Wake Forest (14-13, 3-8 ACC) jumped out to an early 1-0 lead by winning the doubles point. In No. 2 doubles, Romain Bogaerts and Maksim Kan earned an 8-4 victory over Tech’s Hunter Koontz and Joao Monteiro. Wake clinched the point in No. 3 doubles, where the Deac’s duo of Anthony Delcore and Adam Lee defeated Jai Corbett and Nic Wilson, 8-4.
In singles, Tech’s Monteiro evened the score at 1-1, making quick work of Wake’s Ho, 6-0, 6-3, in No. 3 singles. Hokie junior Koontz then put Tech on top, earning a 6-4, 6-2 win over the Deacs’ 105th-ranked Kan in No. 4 singles.
The No. 1 singles match featured a rematch between two top-ranked players. In the regular season meeting, Tech’s 24th-ranked Contini defeated Wake’s 28th-ranked Bogaerts in three sets to clinch the match for the Hokies. On Thursday, Contini prevailed again, coming from behind to top Bogaerts, 2-6, 6-1, 6-0.
In No. 5 singles, Wake’s Aws Laaribi brought the Deacs back within one, as he topped Tech’s Corbett, 7-5, 6-3.
Virginia Tech clinched the match in No. 2 singles, where 122nd-ranked Bjerrehus defeated Wake’s 79th-ranked Lee, 6-3, 6-3.
In the final match of the day, Tech’s Aaron Gomez trailed Wake’s Dumont 5-7, 6-2, 5-2 before play was stopped, as the match had been decided.
The Hokies will play tomorrow at 12 p.m. against Duke, ranked 11th in the nation, at the Cary Tennis Center in Cary, N.C.
1. #24 Amerigo Contini (VT) def. #28 Romain Bogaerts (WF) 2-6, 6-1, 6-0
2. #122 Andreas Bjerrehus (VT) def. #79 Adam Lee (WF) 6-3, 6-3
3. Joao Monteiro (VT) def. Jon Ho (WF) 6-0, 6-3
4. Hunter Koontz (VT) def. #105 Maksim Kan (WF) 6-4, 6-2
5. Aws Laaribi (WF) def. Jai Corbett (VT) 7-5, 6-3
6. Aaron Gomez (VT) vs. Pedro Dumont (WF) 7-5, 2-6, 2-5, unfinished
Order of Finish: 3,4,1,5,2*
1. #44 Andreas Bjerrehus/Amerigo Contini (VT) def. #50 Pedro Dumont/Jon Ho (WF) 8-3
2. Romain Bogaerts/Maksim Kan (WF) def. Hunter Koontz/Joao Monteiro (VT) 8-4
3. Anthony Delcore/Adam Lee (WF) def. Jai Corbett/Nic Wilson (VT) 8-4
Order of Finish: 1,2,3*
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter Follow @VT_MTennis