Tech rolls past JMU, 7-0
Hokies shutout Dukes in straight sets
March 5, 2017
BLACKSBURG – The Virginia Tech men’s tennis team rolled to the win on Sunday afternoon, knocking off JMU in straight sets as the Hokies claimed the 7-0 sweep of the Dukes at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center.
Tech got off to a strong start, winning the doubles point in quick fashion. Henrik Korsgaard and Jason Kros paired up to defeat Brett Moorhead and Tate Steinour 6-1 on three. The point was clinched on one where Abraham Asaba and Jai Corbett defeated Damon Roberts and Sebastian Salinas 6-1.
Kros put the Hokies on top 2-0 with the win at six, defeating Steinour 6-2, 6-1. Freddy Mesmer had the 6-1, 6-2 decision at five against Moorhead. Corbett, ranked 49th, secured the team win at one with a 6-2, 6-2 victory over Salinas.
Mitch Harper dispatched Daniel Mendoza on four with a 6-2, 6-4 win to give Virginia Tech the 5-0 lead. Alexandre Ribeiro battled Theophile Lanthiez to a 7-5 win in the opening set before blanking the JMU player in the second 6-0.
Korsgaard completed the sweep for the Hokies on three. After falling behind 3-1 in the opening set to JMU’s Roberts, Korsgaard won five straight to win the set 6-3. He rolled to the 6-3 win in the second.
The Hokies will return to the court on Friday, March 17 in a 3 p.m. match at NC State.
1. #49 Jai Corbett (VT) def. Sebastian Salinas (JMU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Alexandre Ribeiro (VT) def. Theophile Lanthiez (JMU) 7-5, 6-0
3. #97 Henrik Korsgaard (VT) def. Damon Roberts (JMU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Mitch Harper (VT) def. Paul Mendoza (JMU) 6-2, 6-4
5. Freddy Mesmer (VT) def. Brett Moorhead (JMU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Jason Kros (VT) def. Tate Steinour (JMU) 6-2, 6-1
Order of finish: 6,5,1,4,2,3
1. Abraham Asaba/Corbett (VT) def. Roberts/Salinas (JMU) 6-1
2. Harper/Ribeiro (VT) vs. Lanthiez/Mendoza (JMU) 2-3 dnf
3. Korsgaard/Kros (VT) def. Moorhead/Steinour (JMU) 6-1
Order of finish: 3,1
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter Follow @VT_MTennis