Tech defeats NC State, 4-3
Hokies pick up first ACC win Friday afternoon
March 17, 2017
Tech (6-6, 1-1 ACC) started off the day strong, picking up the doubles point to go out to the 1-0 lead. The Hokies dropped the match at three, but claimed a 6-2 win with Mitch Harper and Alexandre Ribeiro defeating Ivan Saveljic and Michael Ogden. The Hokies claimed the point on one where Jai Corbett paired up with Henrik Korsgaard to defeat 51st-ranked Alexis Galarneau and Nick Horton 7-6(3).
The Wolfpack (9-8, 0-2 ACC) even it up with a win on two, but Jason Kros reclaimed the advantage for the Hokies on five as he claimed a 6-4, 6-3 decision over Ogden. Tech pushed its lead to 3-1 with Freddy Mesmer securing a 6-3, 7-5 victory over Sean Burnette at six.
Harper assured the team’s win as he battled to three set on three against Igor Saveljic. Harper won the first set 6-2, but Saveljic answered in the second to take it 6-2. In the final set, Harper powered back to win the match 6-2.
NC State claimed the final two matches on courts one and four.
The Hokies will be back in action on Sunday, March 19 when Tech hosts No. 4 North Carolina. Match time is set for 2 p.m. at Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center.
1. #116 Alexis Galarneau (ST) def. #74 Jai Corbett (VT) 6-3, 4-6, 6-2
2. #73 Nick Horton (ST) def. Alexandre Ribeiro (VT) 6-0, 6-3
3. Mitch Harper (VT) def. Igor Saveljic (ST) 6-2, 2-6, 6-2
4. Georgiy Malyshev (ST) def. #107 Henrik Korsgaard (VT) 7-5, 6-7(10), 1-0(6)
5. Jason Kros (VT) def. Michael Ogden (ST) 6-4, 6-3
6. Freddy Mesmer (VT) def. Sean Burnette (ST) 6-3, 7-5
Order of finish: 2,5,6,3,1,4
1. Corbett/Korsgaard (VT) def. #51 Galarneau/Horton (ST) 7-6(3)
2. Harper/Ribeiro (VT) def. Ivan Saveljic/Ogden (ST) 6-2
3. Igor Saveljic/Malyshev (ST) def. Kros/Mesmer (VT) 6-1
Order of finish: 3,2,1
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter Follow @VT_MTennis