Hokies edged 4-3 by No. 4 North Carolina
Korsgaard, Harper and Mesmer with wins in singles
March 19, 2017
|(4) North Carolina||4|
BLACKSBURG – The Virginia Tech men’s tennis team was edged by fourth-ranked North Carolina, 4-3 on Sunday afternoon at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center.
Tech fell behind after the Tar Heels claimed the doubles point with wins on courts one and three. The Hokies’ Mitch Harper and Alexandre Ribeiro were up 5-3 on court two when the point was decided.
Harper evened the match at 1-1 with a win on three to start the singles. He defeated No. 123 Robert Kelly 6-3, 6-3. UNC won the next three singles matches to secure the team win. The Hokies’ No. 107 Henrik Korsgaard got another point for the Tech as he defeated Simon Soendergaard on four, 6-4, 7-6(4).
Tech’s Freddy Mesmer remained undefeated on the spring after rallying on court six. Mesmer gave up the first set 6-4 to the Tar Heels’ Blaine Boyden. The Tech sophomore answered to win the next two sets with scores of 6-2.
Virginia Tech will return to the court on Tuesday, March 21 in a match at top-ranked Wake Forest. Time is set for 4 p.m.
1. #19 Ronnie Schneider (UNC) def. #74 Jai Corbett (VT) 6-4, 6-3
2. #61 William Blumberg (UNC) def. Alex Ribeiro(VT) 6-4, 6-2
3. Mitch Harper (VT) def. #123 Robert Kelly (UNC) 6-3, 6-3
4. #107 Henrik Korsgaard (VT) def. Simon Soendergaard (UNC) 6-4, 7-6 (4)
5. Jack Murray (UNC) def. Jason Kros (VT) 6-2, 6-3
6. Freddy Mesmer (VT) def. Blaine Boyden (UNC) 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
Order of finish: 3,2,1,5,4,6
1. #17 Kelly/Blumberg (UNC) def. Corbett/Korsgaard (VT) 6-3
2. Harper/Ribeiro (VT) Murray/Soendergaard (UNC) 5-3 *DNF*
3. Kodali/Schneider (UNC) def. Kros/Mesmer (VT) 6-4
Order of finish: 1,3
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter Follow @VT_MTennis