Hokies fall to No. 4 Virginia
Tech wins in No. 3 doubles
April 7, 2017
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - The Virginia Tech men’s tennis team fell No. 4 Virginia 7-0 on Friday afternoon at the Snyder Tennis Complex.
Tech (8-11, 3-6 ACC) fell behind after Virginia (19-1, 6-1 ACC) took the doubles point with wins on courts one and two. The Hokies did take the match on three as Jason Kros and Freddy Mesmer paired up for a 6-2 decision over J.C. Aragone and Collin Altamirano.
Virginia won the first three singles matches decsively before Henrik Korsgaard pushed Alexander Ritschard in the opening set with the two tied at 5-5. Ritschard scored the two needed to win the set and secured the point for the Hoos with a 6-1 decision in the second.
Ribeiro gave Carl Soderlund all he could handle on four as the pair went to three including a tiebreak in the opening set. Ribeiro and Soderlund were tied at 6-6, but Ribeiro held on in the tiebreak to win it 7-5. The second set was also close with the two tied at 5-5 before Soderlund closed it out to win 7-5. In the third set super tiebreak, the UVA player took control winning it 10-4.
Virginia Tech will be back on the court Sunday April 9 at VCU in a 1 p.m. match
1. #12 Thai-Son Kwiatkowski (UVA) def. #103 Jai Corbett (VT) 6-1, 6-3
2. #63 Collin Altamirano (UVA) def. Mitch Harper (VT) 6-3, 6-4
3. Alexander Ritschard (UVA) def. Henrik Korsgaard (VT) 7-5, 6-1
4. Carl Soderlund (UVA) def. Alexandre Ribeiro (VT) 6-7(5), 7-5, 1-0(4)
5. J.C. Aragone (UVA) def. Jason Kros (VT) 6-2, 6-3
6. #79 Henrik Wiersholm (UVA) def. Freddy Mesmer (VT) 6-2, 6-4
Order of finish: 1,5,6,3,2,4
1. #54 Luca Corinteli/Wiersholm (UVA) def. #46 Corbett/Korsgaard (VT) 6-2
2. Kwiatkwoski/Ritschard (UVA) def. Harper/Ribeiro (VT) 6-2
3. Kros/Mesmer (VT) def. Aragone/Altamirano (UVA) 6-2
Order of finish: 3,1,2
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter Follow @VT_MTennis