Hokies defeat VCU on the road
Tech wins doubles point and three singles matches
April 9, 2017
RICHMOND, Va. – The Virginia Tech men’s tennis team knocked off in-state foe VCU, 4-3 on Sunday afternoon in a non-conference match at the Thalhimer Tennis Center.
Tech (9-11) got off to the early lead after winning the doubles point. The Hokies’ Jason Kros and Freddy Mesmer paired up at three to defeat Javier Amantegui and Philip Mobius 6-2. The point was secured at two where Mitch Harper and Alexandre Ribeiro knocked off Vitor Lima and Arvid Noren 6-4.
VCU (10-11) evened the match with a win at one, but Mesmer gave the Hokies a 2-1 advantage as he defeated Louis Ishizaka 6-2, 6-2 on court five.
Kros pushed the Tech lead to 3-1 on six where he took down Amantegui 6-0, 6-4. The Rams won the next two singles matches with the deciding point coming down to two.
On court two Mitch Harper squared off against Marten Jonsson with the two going to three sets. Harper won the first set 6-3, but Jonsson rallied for the second to take it 6-4. In the final set, Harper rolled past Jonsson 6-2.
Virginia Tech will return to the court on Saturday, April 15 when the Hokies host Georgia Tech at 10:30 a.m. The match marks senior day for the Hokies.
1. Daryl Monfils (VCU) def. #103 Jai Corbett (VT) 6-2, 6-4
2. Mitch Harper (VT) def. Marten Jonsson (VCU) 6-3, 4-6, 6-2
3. Arvid Noren (VCU) def. Henrik Korsgaard (VT) 6-3, 6-4
4. Vitor Lima (VCU) def. Alexandre Ribeiro (VT) 6-4, 6-3
5. Freddy Mesmer (VT) def. Louis Ishizaka (VCU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Jason Kros (VT) def. Javier Amantegui (VCU) 6-0, 6-4
Order of finish: 1,5,6,3,4,2
1. Monfils/Jonsson (VCU) vs. Corbett/Korsgaard (VT) 5-6 dnf
2. Harper/Ribeiro (VT) def. Lima/Noren (VCU) 6-4
3. Kros/Mesmer (VT) def. Amantegui/Philip Mobius (VCU) 6-2
Order of finish: 3,2
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter Follow @VT_MTennis